sewing machine motors

BK

The issue with these motors is when you need to crawl with them, they have little or no low speed torque. At higher speeds they are definitely OK.

I wanted to get my scroll saw 924" Beaver that I am sure was used by Noah to build the ark) down so that I could really control the strokes, especially when sanding carbon with it. These motors could not get low enough to get the blade even moving, unless I was at speeds that were already available using the conventional motor and belt changes.

For an application like your mill, where you are turning at a decent RPM and not starting under a heavy load they will work fine, I am sure.

Walter

BK

The issue with these motors is when you need to crawl with them, they have little or no low speed torque. At higher speeds they are definitely OK.

I wanted to get my scroll saw 924" Beaver that I am sure was used by Noah to build the ark) down so that I could really control the strokes, especially when sanding carbon with it. These motors could not get low enough to get the blade even moving, unless I was at speeds that were already available using the conventional motor and belt changes.

For an application like your mill, where you are turning at a decent RPM and not starting under a heavy load they will work fine, I am sure.

Walter
the issues you have had are not what i'm having at all. on my cnc mill i cut steel at 400 rpm and don't get any bog down at all,the same on my cnc lathe.my motors are brushless dc servo motors.from consew. they are comercial grade

Last edited:
The video from Sailrite was interesting. First let me say that Sailrite is an excellent company. They have the best customer service of any company I have dealt with. I have one of their sewing machines, but don't have the controller they are proud of.

When you mention milling at 400 rpm, I don't know if that is direct drive, so not sure what the motor is turning.

400 rpm direct drive on a sewing m/c would he almost 7 stiches / second which is very fast for some tricky situations. So I would imagine that they would be trying to operate the motor below 100 rpm. Not sure how they work their for machine tools. I have thinking of one for my lathe.

It appears that folks are getting a bit confused here - or is it just me? BKtoys has been talking about a "brushless" motor. Indeed, when you look at his photos, there are no brush covers apparent on the motor housing. The Sailrite video plainly used a brushed motor - you can see the black brush retainer caps on the side of the motor, near the pulley end.

Though I haven't bought a sewing machine motor myself, I *have* done a lot of looking on ebay. And I've noted that there appear to be two distinct kinds of motirs offered - some explicitly listed as "brushless", and others that appear to have brushes. At least one of the latter has even mentioned that they include spare brushes.

Would those of you who've actually experienced problems with sewing machine motors *please* specify exactly which kind you had trouble with?

Many thanks!

The video from Sailrite was interesting. First let me say that Sailrite is an excellent company. They have the best customer service of any company I have dealt with. I have one of their sewing machines, but don't have the controller they are proud of.

When you mention milling at 400 rpm, I don't know if that is direct drive, so not sure what the motor is turning.

400 rpm direct drive on a sewing m/c would he almost 7 stiches / second which is very fast for some tricky situations. So I would imagine that they would be trying to operate the motor below 100 rpm. Not sure how they work their for machine tools. I have thinking of one for my lathe.
if you go down a few posts you will see my setup it is direct drive,and i tried to stop it by hand the 100 rpm's didn't drop and burnt the heck out of my hand , i know it's a dumb move oops!!! :) these motors are comercial type from consew,they are brushless dc servo motors. the person on ebay is supersewingman , his store is in LaMirada CA. . if i remember right he has a service center also.

Last edited:
It appears that folks are getting a bit confused here - or is it just me? BKtoys has been talking about a "brushless" motor. Indeed, when you look at his photos, there are no brush covers apparent on the motor housing. The Sailrite video plainly used a brushed motor - you can see the black brush retainer caps on the side of the motor, near the pulley end.

Though I haven't bought a sewing machine motor myself, I *have* done a lot of looking on ebay. And I've noted that there appear to be two distinct kinds of motirs offered - some explicitly listed as "brushless", and others that appear to have brushes. At least one of the latter has even mentioned that they include spare brushes.

Would those of you who've actually experienced problems with sewing machine motors *please* specify exactly which kind you had trouble with?

Many thanks!
Hi John i'm glad someone caught this minor slip, between brushed & brushless motors.i'm really happy with mine.by the way i live in Apache Junction,AZ

if you go down a few posts you will see my setup it is direct drive,and i tried to stop it by hand the 100 rpm's didn't drop and burnt the heck out of my hand , i know it's a dumb move oops!!! :) these motors are comercial type from consew,they are brushless dc servo motors. the person on ebay is supersewingman , his store is in LaMirada CA. . if i remember right he has a service center also.

you seem to know what your talking about ...thats good now if you would please can you do another test at 50rpm....this is where the difference will be

your talented and eventually be asking some more questions on cnc

Lawrence

Hi folks i have 2 of the sewing machine brushless servo dc motors from supersewingman in ebay . i have had great response from him, his store is in LaMirada Cal.i received them in 1 week. here is a picture of my setup.
i removed the end that had the mecanism for the foot pedal cut the 3 wires off the switch they are red, yellow and black . i only used the yellow and black on the 2.5K pot i also built a new mount for 2 reasons 1 so the motor is direct drive, with a 6 pin coupler like the taig cnc couplers 2 i wanted more movement on the y axis so i put 3/4" spacers behind the spindle dove tail mount and between the y axis plate and the carriage. you canalso look for Consew on Ebay. i also put all the electronics in a radio shack case

View attachment 51726View attachment 51725

BK, great job on the spindle motor conversion of your CNC Taig Mill. If possible I would like more info on the electronics that you installed in the Radio Shack case. You did say that you cut the 3 wires off the existing switch and attached the yellow & black to a 2.5K pot for motor RPM control and I assumed you mounted the controller inside the case. What I would like to know is it possible on the controller board to attach leads to a external DPDT toggle to reverse the motor direction without using the electronic panel? This probably sounds off the wall but I was considering using this motor on my X axis manual mill for a Variable Power Feed but I need to be able to reverse the motor for the plus/neg directions.

I also noticed on your Radio Shack front panel that you have the Consew control label and was wondering if it was difficult to remove?

Thanks and ANY info you would like to share since the conversion would be insightful to us all.

BK, great job on the spindle motor conversion of your CNC Taig Mill. If possible I would like more info on the electronics that you installed in the Radio Shack case. You did say that you cut the 3 wires off the existing switch and attached the yellow & black to a 2.5K pot for motor RPM control and I assumed you mounted the controller inside the case. What I would like to know is it possible on the controller board to attach leads to a external DPDT toggle to reverse the motor direction without using the electronic panel? This probably sounds off the wall but I was considering using this motor on my X axis manual mill for a Variable Power Feed but I need to be able to reverse the motor for the plus/neg directions.

I also noticed on your Radio Shack front panel that you have the Consew control label and was wondering if it was difficult to remove?

Thanks and ANY info you would like to share since the conversion would be insightful to us all.

yes the switch was simple that way, but the reveres is internal and i don't know of any way to wire a switch in.that is why i put the panel on because the reveres is done thru that panel. its in the manual ,for what the manual is worth.thanks for the compliments.

Back