sewing machine motors

BKtoys

Active User
Registered
Hi folks i have 2 of the sewing machine brushless servo dc motors from supersewingman in ebay . i have had great response from him, his store is in LaMirada Cal.i received them in 1 week. here is a picture of my setup.
i removed the end that had the mecanism for the foot pedal cut the 3 wires off the switch they are red, yellow and black . i only used the yellow and black on the 2.5K pot i also built a new mount for 2 reasons 1 so the motor is direct drive, with a 6 pin coupler like the taig cnc couplers 2 i wanted more movement on the y axis so i put 3/4" spacers behind the spindle dove tail mount and between the y axis plate and the carriage. you canalso look for Consew on Ebay. i also put all the electronics in a radio shack case

004.JPG005.JPG

005.JPG 004.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome, and great post you've given.

May I ask in more detail how you coupled the motor to the original Taig spindle?

Any chance you have pictures or drawings?

One more question, won't you miss the 10,000 RPM?

Thanks again for sharing,
Dave

Last edited:
Welcome, and great post you've given.

May I ask in more detail how you coupled the motor to the original Taig spindle?

Any chance you have pictures or drawings?

One more question, won't you miss the 10,000 RPM?

Thanks again for sharing,
Dave
Hi again Dave I built a new coupler it hooks up just like the Taig cnc coupler but i made it 2" in dia. put 6 hples in the two pieces. in the motor piece i had to broach a new keyway and counter bore for the nut on the motor shaft . i used a heavy wall nylon tubing 1/4" in dia. .sorry i don't have any drawings, cause most of my homemade tooling comes out of my head as i build.

Hi again Dave I built a new coupler it hooks up just like the Taig cnc coupler but i made it 2" in dia. put 6 hples in the two pieces. in the motor piece i had to broach a new keyway and counter bore for the nut on the motor shaft . i used a heavy wall nylon tubing 1/4" in dia. .sorry i don't have any drawings, cause most of my homemade tooling comes out of my head as i build.
here i am again here are a few pics of the coupler
007.JPG006.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

007.JPG 009.JPG 006.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

Excellent work, there, and thank you for sharing.

A great idea I'll have to stash away for sure- :))

Dave

Well done. The sewing machine motor may be what I am looking for on a current project upgrade.
Thank you
Dale

I'm trying to figure out how to make a case trimmer out of a sowing machine motor. I have a few ideas in my head. Need to put them on paper.

"Here is a video of the competition for these low power DC sewing machine servo motors demonstrating what I feared, servos having no more torque at low speed than any other low power DC motor."

[video=youtube;supQ_mWMxg8] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=supQ_mWMxg8 [/video]

This was posted on the Lathemaster yahoo group.

Walter

"Here is a video of the competition for these low power DC sewing machine servo motors demonstrating what I feared, servos having no more torque at low speed than any other low power DC motor."

[video=youtube;supQ_mWMxg8] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=supQ_mWMxg8 [/video]

This was posted on the Lathemaster yahoo group.

Walter
i don't know if you have used or seen a consew motor, that is what i'm using and it hasn't bogged at all especially when i'm cutting steel. on either my mill or my lathe, both are cnc. the are both brushless servo motors

Last edited:
Back