Several shop made tools I've done

Wow, I remember Anvil... I didn't think anybody used it any more! It was one of the slowest CAD systems I've ever used, and the entire department was happy to move on to Cadkey (which was 3D wireframe back then).

Nice projects. Some of the machines I'm responsible for use a double screw as an adjustment. Only the outer screw turns, and with differing threads (both RH, I forget what pitches exactly) the resultant motion is the difference between the thread pitches, so we can make very fine adjustments. A ball plunger in straight splines on the outer screw gives .001 adjustment per click.

Here are the plans for the drill press vise. I think you'll be able to make everything out ok. Thank you for the interest.

vvtcvise1.JPGvvtcvise2.JPGvvtcvise3.JPGvvtcvise4.JPGvvtcvise5.JPG

vvtcvise1.JPG vvtcvise2.JPG vvtcvise3.JPG vvtcvise4.JPG vvtcvise5.JPG

Gary,
A few weeks ago I posted looking for curriculum for a machining program at a high school level. My school is about to incorporate a two year CTE program in manual machining, as most have moved on to CNC machining. Do you have any curriculum, suggestions, ideas, you would be willing to share with me? -Dan

You are thinking of a double start lead screw. A double screw vise is a whole different animal. As an apprentice I made mine It has a small left hand thread the screws into the larger right hand thread screw. Yes it closes and opens faster and has a greater clamping force. But it's main purpose was to teach the apprentice how the threads worked together as a multiplier. This vise has been on the shelf for 20 years now. I will clean it before putting it back. I made the mistake of loaning it to someone and got it back a couple of years later in really bad shape. It went on the shelf in disgust.

"Billy G"

Just trivia, the double screw was also used for the adjusters in the Norris infill woodworking planes.

I like your methodology, make them think rather than just copy a drawing, it will pay off when they have to figure something out for themselves down the road.

Our instructor does the same thing. Our first project he gave us the angle as we had not talked trig. But after that he expects us to know how to find it. The reward for learning it, shop time. The ones who struggle are in the class room. He does the same with total lengths or widths or dia. If there are 3 references on a length, he wont give the total but make you add it up or if it's a .25 radius whats the dia. I figure it keeps you thinking.

I wish I had a better machine tech instructor when I took shop, ours was a coach so if you were a jock you got the attention and better projects the rest just got by.
Luckily my father-in-law has a shop and now I am hooked using the older machines

I have not done a left hand thread on my own yet, I think that I would love to make the vise

Bill

The system I'm using is called Anvil. It's a DOS based 2D system.Here is the bench block print. I'll get another on tomorrow.
I'm an evil teacher..... You'll have to figure your own angles! I tell my students that I already know how to do it and they need to learn how. I get some evil looks from that statement.

Wow, I thought I was the only one on this board who had ever used Anvil :) We still use it at work for some of our old legacy drawings and some cabling. Some of the guys just had to get rid of their old tablets, because we couldn't get them to work in Win 7

Keep posting the nice work :)

I'd be glad to share with you what we use here in Va. I'll get some links you can go to . I'll have to do it after work today. Right now I'm busy educating the youth of America. ( and that's a handful LOL)
Gary

Gary,
A few weeks ago I posted looking for curriculum for a machining program at a high school level. My school is about to incorporate a two year CTE program in manual machining, as most have moved on to CNC machining. Do you have any curriculum, suggestions, ideas, you would be willing to share with me? -Dan

Good Sir:
I heartily commend what you do in teaching. Seems all the vocational curriculums have been removed from schools in our state because Johnny might cut his finger. Your students will hit the ground running with a hunger to learn and earn upon graduation.

Meanwhile the valedictorians and jocks will still be living at home when they are thirty. Playing it safe, not chancing a mistake in careers, waiting for that $100K job to find them.

I would have died in high school without shop classes.

Once again. Thank you for all you do. We need a million more like you. We might then stand a chance.

:man:

View attachment 68309

I've worked in this trade since 1972. I'm now teaching precision Machining to high school kids. Most of these projects are prototypes of projects My students make. Long ago I took the idea that I would only buy things I wasn't able to make. I'll say that it was a blessing as well as a curse. But it has been fun! These projects are but a few. I have plans and prints for dozens of others if anyone is interested.
Thanks for looking.
Gary

Hello Gary
Regret chiming in so late. Your work is interesting and well finished, like a Teach's should be. Keep it up.
We are wondering if U would kindly share Your plans, drawings for the RIFLE REST ???
Would love to tackle this as the good Imports would cost us a packet with weighty Shipping and Rate Conversions
TIA
Regards
aRM

Back