Several shop made tools I've done

If I can get the plans put in as attachments I'll be glad to email them to you. Otherwise I'll have to snail mail the. That's not a problem just slower. My cad system is about 30 yrs. old. Let me see what I can come up with.
Gary

What CAD are you using?

Sounds like you're doing a nice job teaching those kids! Keep it up!

The system I'm using is called Anvil. It's a DOS based 2D system.Here is the bench block print. I'll get another on tomorrow.
I'm an evil teacher..... You'll have to figure your own angles! I tell my students that I already know how to do it and they need to learn how. I get some evil looks from that statement.

bblock.jpgbblock1.jpg

bblock.jpg bblock1.jpg

Nice work. I love that vice.

Far as I know, multiple lead threads have more clamping force, faster advancement, and easier to pick up the start. Think of a water bottle. You just throw the cap on and twist and it picks up the thread very easy, and advances 1/4in in a 1/4 turn. Provided I understand what we are talking about

How to cut them is above my pay grade as to date.

You are thinking of a double start lead screw. A double screw vise is a whole different animal. As an apprentice I made mine It has a small left hand thread the screws into the larger right hand thread screw. Yes it closes and opens faster and has a greater clamping force. But it's main purpose was to teach the apprentice how the threads worked together as a multiplier. This vise has been on the shelf for 20 years now. I will clean it before putting it back. I made the mistake of loaning it to someone and got it back a couple of years later in really bad shape. It went on the shelf in disgust.

"Billy G"

102_0501 (800 x 531).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you turned to close the jaws, the large thread would screw in and small thread would go out? Both traveling in the same direction that is.

Also, being diff Dia. do they you need to figure thread pitch to make it work, or would it work if they both had the same pitch?

The threads are the same, just two different diameters. They are both 20 TPI.. One left hand and one right hand. The larger one moves thru the block, the smaller one out of the larger one. That is why one is left and one right. If they were both the same it would not work. You are correct on the movement direction.

"Billy G"

Is there anyway I could get some plans for the vise in post #8? Like the projects!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too would love a set of plans. Is it a three inch vice?

Our instructor does the same thing. Our first project he gave us the angle as we had not talked trig. But after that he expects us to know how to find it. The reward for learning it, shop time. The ones who struggle are in the class room. He does the same with total lengths or widths or dia. If there are 3 references on a length, he wont give the total but make you add it up or if it's a .25 radius whats the dia. I figure it keeps you thinking.
The system I'm using is called Anvil. It's a DOS based 2D system.Here is the bench block print. I'll get another on tomorrow.
I'm an evil teacher..... You'll have to figure your own angles! I tell my students that I already know how to do it and they need to learn how. I get some evil looks from that statement.

View attachment 68894View attachment 68895

Back