Setting up my Acra 16x40 lathe - DRO, Tool post, VFD/Controls, & Tooling

Ideally you would want the VFD with a bit more headroom above, but it will be fine running in a derated mode and the larger cabinet. There are different settings for the VFD fan, I usually just have it operate when the motor is running, but you also have the option of continuous or temperature controlled.

That’s a nice place to store and keep your carbide inserts warm - they will age like fine wine in the lower part of that enclosure.

This is the tank in my shop. 14x30 American Pacemaker. 15hp spindle motor. Swings about 1/2” bigger diameter than the 16x40 Acra. Weighs about 2000 pounds more. The Acra does everything the old Pacemaker doesn’t- metric threading, reverse, 5C collets, D1 spindle (vs L1) and so on. The Pacemaker has a clutch and the Acra would be even sweeter with a clutch. I feel lucky having them both.

View attachment 390695
Looks like the same unit Abom79 just got.

Going to throw this out here... There are import DRO options that come at a good fraction of what the DRO Pros stuff runs. I bought a 3 axis set for a 12x36 that ran me just north of $200 including a high res cross slide scale. Pain to install - as are all DROs - but zero complaints about it.

Yours would be more, given the travel length, but still very inexpensive. I see they offer standard travel lengths up to 40" but can custom make longer ones.

They also have slim cross section scales which might be necessary for your compound slide.

The DRO read head is very easy to read, but is not a lathe specific one so I dont think it will do the compound slide vector addition that some fancy lathe DROs do.

This arrived a couple days ago. Very well built. I’ll admit I was disappointed when I saw that it doesn’t have a third scale input. I had considered adding a scale to the tail stock. I’ll be quite happy with the X and Z.

8D432B28-F87F-4C73-AEA9-FC96388DD465.jpeg

I have a horizontal display 6" Mitutoyo scale on the way for my tailstock quill. I kinda think having the readout right there on the tailstock will be more user friendly than trying to look over at the main DRO displays third axis while you're cranking on the quill feed? Guess it depends on where your main display is mounted. Mine is above the headstock/spindle.

Back