Setting up my Acra 16x40 lathe - DRO, Tool post, VFD/Controls, & Tooling

I just bought a Mitutoyo lathe DRO package from Mike at Can Do Machinery. Wouldn't hesitate doing it again. Mike was great to deal with, and no one else came close to his prices on Mitutoyo. Very happy with the DRO ( 2 axis, not 3 ) on my Summit 1440B. It has a magnetic scale on the Z axis, and glass on the X.

Nice score on the machines, BTW!

Got back from my holiday trip tonight after fighting the airlines for over a day. Lathe has a 5HP motor. Now I can get the vfd ordered.

23B4CAD1-2222-4CEF-B645-0FB35A29F974.jpeg

You might want to check out https://www.machine-dro.co.uk/
I think the dollar is pretty strong now against the pound.
Korean lathe?
Yes, it's a Korean lathe. From what I'm seeing online folks say it's a high quality machine.

I just bought a Mitutoyo lathe DRO package from Mike at Can Do Machinery. Wouldn't hesitate doing it again. Mike was great to deal with, and no one else came close to his prices on Mitutoyo. Very happy with the DRO ( 2 axis, not 3 ) on my Summit 1440B. It has a magnetic scale on the Z axis, and glass on the X.

Nice score on the machines, BTW!

I had just ordered the MX-200L from PM when I saw your reply. Thanks for the info!

That MX-200L looks like a really nice system!

Looks like a 1735 RPM 4 pole 14A@220V so there are very few 3.7 kW native single phase VFD's and the only one i would recommend is the Yaskawa GA500, I have done several installs with them. It is a very wide unit. Alternate is a 3 phase VFD used in derated mode, typically the WJ200-075LF is used. They need to be run on a minimum 50A circuit and I would recommend fusing or dedicated breaker for the circuit. I assume you do not have 3 phase? If 3 phase is something you may have in the future then I would lean to a 3 phase unit run in single phase mode but also can be configured for 3 phase input. I have Yaskawa VFD's on both my mill and lathe and they have 3 phase inputs but can also be run off of single phase. Shop around, there prices can vary significantly If you need model numbers or sppecifics let me know. There are recent threads on lathe builds with both these VFDS.

That is a nice DRO, I have the EL700 on my mill which is essentially the same unit with 4 axis. It is a touch screen, you will want to put a screen protector over the whole display, I used ones for a tablet and cut it down to size to fit.

Suitable VFD's are listed below, one would need to map out the current controls to determine a replacement control system, and in addition you need to consider other sub-systems like if it has a pressure lube system, clutch drive, etc. Since you will be powering two systems, and the Haas would also need 3 phase, in the long run you might be better off with a Phase Perfect 10 or 20 Hp unit or an RPC with a power distribution panel. I like VFD's on lathes, but at the end of the day you will probably spend 2K in the conversion and then you still need to power the Haas.

Hitachi Drives WJ200-075LF (single phase input rating is 18.4A)- $804

Hitachi Drives P1-00460-LFUF (single phase input rating is 15.5A) - $843
https://www.wolfautomation.com/vfd-10-hp-3-phase-200-240v-32-44-46-a-1/

YASKAWA GA500 INDUSTRIAL AC MICRODRIVE GA50UB018ABA native 1/PH 240V 5.0 HP 17.6 AMPS ND -$675

Note: some of the vendors offer a discount if you sign up for email

Phase Perfect: