Seeking knowledge at the well of Wisdom

Those are sure weird! That straight section next to the V way really complicates things!
Is your cutter long enough for the full width, or are you going to have to trig your way down?
You may need to grind the end flat. The surface speed will go to zero on the point.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I will be doing only one side of the VEE at a time. I do not plan to machine either the Vee or Flat Way to what would need to be done if I was replacing with Turcite. This is the beauty of using Moglice. It forms to what ever void it is in. I will be sure to document as much of my project as I can as I go along.

Larry, I hope there was only material damage and no loss of life or serious injury.
Over the years the warning systems have gotten much better. But tornado tracks are difficult to predict. I find it surprising that more people aren't hurt or killed given the total destruction of many buildings. There were 70 people in the industrial building that partially collapsed. 11 to hospitals. Most houses in this area have basements that provide very good protection. A couple of years ago the small dairy store in my area got totally destroyed & we lost power from trees going through power lines. Grandkids considered it a disaster since we couldn't walk to get ice creams anymore. That store was there when I was a kid. Hasn't been rebuilt.

Just an up date on the Saddle Vee ways for my Clausing 5913. I'm taking my time with the machining. Yesterday I did one side and today I started the other side but my neighbor came over to BS, so I didn't get the opposite side finished. It's interesting because I blued up both sides of the Vee and as you take a pass it reveals very well how worn the chuck end was compared to the tailstock end. Before I actually apply the Moglice I am going to put .0625 shims and check squareness to the chuck and level both z and x to the bed. I have been working on this restoration for a little over 3 years now, so I am not in a hurry to mess it up. So here is a short clip and some pictures to document what I am doing. Bluing the ways before machining was a terrific idea because I can check my sanity on every pass. When all the bluing is gone, I will be at Zero.

Attachments

• IMG_2909.JPG
    IMG_2909.JPG
    529.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2898.JPG
    IMG_2898.JPG
    562.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2899.JPG
    IMG_2899.JPG
    548 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2900.JPG
    IMG_2900.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2901.JPG
    IMG_2901.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2903.JPG
    IMG_2903.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2904.JPG
    IMG_2904.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2905.JPG
    IMG_2905.JPG
    445.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2906.JPG
    IMG_2906.JPG
    456.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2907.JPG
    IMG_2907.JPG
    407.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2908.JPG
    IMG_2908.JPG
    508.9 KB · Views: 11
@ltlvt
Those V-Grooves look mighty clean now. Nice work.
Thanks. I am making multiple passes of .010 depth of cut to avoid anything moving and avoid going too deep. I have .063 Turcite shims to gage the thickness of the Moglice so I am taking it EZ-Duz- It, also using a vacuum cleaner to suck up the fine cast-iron chips as I go. I absolutely hate machining cast-iron. I will be blasting the shine off of those ways with steel slag to help the Moglice adhere to the steel. When I complete this one I am going to do the saddle on my Clausing model 100.

Todays progress on the saddle. Old technology using feeler gages and stops. My brain was too tired to read a DRO or indicator. The tool in the chuck on the lathe is one I bought from Joe Pie. It is designed for setting up rotary table on a mill, but I have found it very versatile. Great for setting the tool height on your lathe. I will be using it this time in the lathe chuck to establish a horizontal plane for the spindle. Theoretically when the cross-slide travels across the bed it should keep the tool in a parallel plane with the centerline of the spindle. Thanks for stopping by.

Attachments

• IMG_2976.JPG
    IMG_2976.JPG
    355.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2967.JPG
    IMG_2967.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2968.JPG
    IMG_2968.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2969.JPG
    IMG_2969.JPG