See ya Dad

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I thought I was prepared. I wasn't. I knew he was going to be crossing to the other side but it still hit me harder than I thought it would. Why? I don't know. Passing of an era or maybe it was because there was so much I still wanted to talk to him about but didn't get a chance due to that damn Alzheimer disease. I wrote a letter to him the night he passed away. My brother was in the room with him and put the cell phone on speaker while I read it to my Dad. I am SO glad I did that. It helped me. I believe he did hear too. I also did a eulogy for him (for me?) at the funeral. That was a first for me. Did it rather extemporaneously with only a few notes scribbled on a piece of paper. Before I walked in I mentioned to the pastor I would like to say a few words. It went well. It helped me. The pianist played polka music on our way out.

Dad was born in the house that I grew up in. August of 1926. Passed Sept. 22, 2021. His Grandfather started the farm in 1901 and my oldest brother continues to farm there. It will probably go to his kids when he passes. That is a lot of generations.

The one picture has him talking to my Aunt Iona. She passed about 3 weeks before he did. The thing I like about that picture is what my Dad could do best; talk to anyone. He was such a kind and gentle man.

Attachments

• Image (17).jpg
    Image (17).jpg
    920.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Dad picture_0003.jpg
    Dad picture_0003.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 16
Condolences, even though it's expected, that does not make it any easier.

I’m sorry for your loss, Neil. Your father and mine were both born in the same year, both spent “time on the farm”, and both had a caring smile. My Dad has been gone a few years now but I still think of him, often when standing in front of the mirror. It gets easier, but never really goes away…

-frank

My condolences on the loss of your dad. My dad was another Wisconsin farmer, though he went on to other endeavors. He passed three years ago, also born in 26'. Seems once are parents are gone, we are in a different world, never to be quite the same again, but I guess that is the way of things, and we always have are memories of them to help sustain us. Mike

My condolences to you and your family.

I lost my pop about three years ago and I'm sitting at his old desk as I type this. He was a few years younger than yours but they really were cut from a different stock. I can't believe how often it talk about him to others, my grandfather was the farmer but my dad grew up around it and the landscaping business. Yes, memories and mementos are nice but what really counts is the legacy they left in us. We should never forget where we came from and those who came before.

John

Hi Neil,

You have my condolences for your loss.

My Mom passed several years ago now. I know the profound feeling of loss in my world.
It changed me .......or maybe my perception of the world.

I am very glad you felt comfortable posting about it here.
Like you, I find writing and talking about events to help me thru.

Brian

So sorry for your loss Neil.
This weekend will be 29 years ago that my dad passed away. I was just a dumb 22 year old then. Sure miss him.
Remember the good times you had together, it helps a little.
Joe

So sorry for your loss!
My dad passed 30 years ago and, I still have mental conversations with him. Celebrate the fond memories.

Back