Safety

Boy no kidding, we see experienced, gifted machinists on YouTube touching edges while spinning.
I find myself saying, “don’t ”!
50 years ago A contract machinist was using our lathe to make a shaft
He was miking the shaft as he was machining it still makes me shiver
Never tried it and won't

Speaking of electrical safety and Canada, you guys don’t use wire nuts?
What/how do you join electrical wires in a residential/commercial building?

We do use wire nuts. I have a couple hundred or so Marette brand in different sizes in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friends uncle invented wire nuts, don't think he made much money off it but surely saved many lives:)

I am an "old school" electrician, and set(50+yrs) in my ways. Always remember any code is not a standard, it is the minimum acceptable. When using wire nuts, the wire nut is the insulation cap over a joint. The wires must hold themselves together alone, twisted is the usual technique. Stranded wire is altogether different from solid in the way it is twisted.

Solid wires are twisted together in a pigtail splice, right hand tightly, then trimmed and a wire nut screwed on. But, what about wiring a light fixture?!?! An AWG 12 solid to an AWG18 stranded. The fixture splice must be used, with a wire nut to finish it off. There are many situations where a wire nut simply won't work. And that's before "industrial" comes into the question.

Most books and videos show a wire nut being used simply by pulling the wires together like your fingers and screwing on the wire nut. They are full of BULL$#!%. Such a splice can fall apart the first time it is touched or moved. The splice must hold itself together first with a wire nut as a cap.

I use wire nuts inside in conduit or boxes for residential work. Outside, I use Kearneys(split bolts) and tape. And never a crimped connector, the only place that is crimped at my house is the gooseneck above the power meter. But that doesn't belong to me. I offered kearneys but they were declined.

As far as safety glasses, I must stress that my mother was blind from childhood. I grew up thinking that some people could see and some couldn't. I have seen people that were blinded as adults. Their attitudes toward life scared me so much, I was using safety glasses before I started school.

At 70ish, having all my fingers and toes and both eyes says all that needs to be said. I worked in a pipe foundry before OSHA had any teeth. We wore sneakers and baseball caps on the casting floor. Safety is not a matter of how much equipment you can hang on the body. It's in your mind, being aware of what is going on around you and avoiding any dangerous mis-step.

Years ago we used wire nuts with the brass insert which had a set screw then the plastic cover threaded on the brass
Not too many around now
The ones David mentioned thread themselves on the wire when its twisted
What is used in the USA ?
I am an "old school" electrician, and set(50+yrs) in my ways. Always remember any code is not a standard, it is the minimum acceptable. When using wire nuts, the wire nut is the insulation cap over a joint. The wires must hold themselves together alone, twisted is the usual technique. Stranded wire is altogether different from solid in the way it is twisted.

Solid wires are twisted together in a pigtail splice, right hand tightly, then trimmed and a wire nut screwed on. But, what about wiring a light fixture?!?! An AWG 12 solid to an AWG18 stranded. The fixture splice must be used, with a wire nut to finish it off. There are many situations where a wire nut simply won't work. And that's before "industrial" comes into the question.

Most books and videos show a wire nut being used simply by pulling the wires together like your fingers and screwing on the wire nut. They are full of BULL$#!%. Such a splice can fall apart the first time it is touched or moved. The splice must hold itself together first with a wire nut as a cap.

I use wire nuts inside in conduit or boxes for residential work. Outside, I use Kearneys(split bolts) and tape. And never a crimped connector, the only place that is crimped at my house is the gooseneck above the power meter. But that doesn't belong to me. I offered kearneys but they were declined.

As far as safety glasses, I must stress that my mother was blind from childhood. I grew up thinking that some people could see and some couldn't. I have seen people that were blinded as adults. Their attitudes toward life scared me so much, I was using safety glasses before I started school.

At 70ish, having all my fingers and toes and both eyes says all that needs to be said. I worked in a pipe foundry before OSHA had any teeth. We wore sneakers and baseball caps on the casting floor. Safety is not a matter of how much equipment you can hang on the body. It's in your mind, being aware of what is going on around you and avoiding any dangerous mis-step.

Agree with you fully
The solid wire is twisted clockwise together first trimmed to length then the nut is threaded on the wire
Many times I have run into poor connections that come apart when the wire is moved
I always give the wire a tug to make sure it grips all the wires

Safety is not a matter of how much equipment you can hang on the body. It's in your mind, being aware of what is going on around you and avoiding any dangerous mis-step.
+1 ! The best piece of safety gear is between your ears! Having to work in crews is a blessing and a curse. If everybody is paying attention it's a blessing because we can all keep each other safe. But it only takes one to put the whole crew in jeopardy.

I was hired into this crew to install a 6,000lb sizer in the middle of an all wood two story packing house. Which meant we couldn't use forklifts and the sizer had to go 110" from the floor in the middle of existing equipment that completely surrounded it on 3 sides. There was a space 4' wide to get the 12' wide 40' long sizer into where it would be installed. There was supposed to be 3 of us but they couldn't find qualified guys after months and the first guy got canned after a background check. So it was two of us.

We figured out what we needed to do and were almost to the point of hoisting it in the air when the mech who was assigned to the house came back from vacation just as my boss went on vacation. The mech was a known jerk and totally hijacked what we were doing and scrapped out our whole plan. I don't have any degrees in engineering but I totally got the gravity of the situation. We would have 18" clearance from the sizer to existing machinery so if it fell it would kill someone and we'd all end up in the basement. And what he was insisting we do was totally unsafe. So I went in early and packed up my tools and called the foreman of the house over and said I was quitting. He got the manager and we were having a lively discussion when the mech came in and turned around and went across town to the CEO. Luckily the CEO had visited us many times( at the time I didn't know who he was) and had faith in us and told the manager were were not to be bothered, were totally in charge and we were off limits to the mech. When we put the sizer in the air to put the legs on it I was in the scariest spot down in a hole surrounded with just a little catwalk. To his credit the CEO came down and stood beside me while we lifted it and secured it to the legs. I know somebody would have gotten hurt if we'd not stood by what we knew was safe and let the mech do what he wanted. I was not going to put myself in harms way for a stupid job.

At my former place of employment we were taught to think the worst case scenario, How can this KILL me?

Maybe there’s a better thread for this, but…yesterday I was pressing a small bearing (6200Z) off a motor shaft using the HF 20 ton press. I have changed over to an air powered jack, but normally I can just use hand force directly at the handle socket for bearings. This time, it seemed stuck, so I put the handle in and gave it a couple shots. Of course I’m on a shop stool, looking closely at the work at about eye level and I gave it one more pull and POW the bearing exploded apart, a portion of which shot out and just nicked my ear, hit the wall 8’ behind me. Scared the tar out of me thinking how close that was to a terrible injury.

From now on it’s a full face shield for lathe, mill and press. I hope not to forget this lesson.

Back