Safety

5.) Don't "feel" the finish on a shaft you're machining as it's rotating. Seen way too many guys do it with some ugly results.
6.) Don't try to clear swath with your fingers. Make a long hook.
Boy no kidding, we see experienced, gifted machinists on YouTube touching edges while spinning.
I find myself saying, “don’t ”!

When working in assembly the first time when working for a AG sprayer co I got into the habit of basically putting on a kind of hasmet suit with coveralls, mask and safety glasses and I feel naked without at least my glasses. They have saved me so many times. One time I was helping my BIL put a spring back on a CHEVY hood hinge and it slipped off and hit me right in the glasses! We were both stunned. If I'd not been wearing those glasses I'd probably be minus an eye. It hit just right and only hit the glasses and just left a scratch on the lense. If it had hit me anywhere off the glasses I'd have a scar I'm sure. Anybody who knows how big those springs are can attest to that being a lot of force. I've gotten to where I need readers and my safety glasses are corrected so I have them on any time I'm in the shop. Anytime I'm grinding I wear a M95 mask and when powdercoating I use a dual filter spray mask.

I have tinnitus so ear protection is a must for me. I have three or four pairs of full coverage ear muffs in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When working in assembly the first time when working for a AG sprayer co I got into the habit of basically putting on a kind of hasmet suit with coveralls, mask and safety glasses and I feel naked without at least my glasses. They have saved me so many times. One time I was helping my BIL put a spring back on a CHEVY hood hinge and it slipped off and hit me right in the glasses! We were both stunned. If I'd not been wearing those glasses I'd probably be minus an eye. It hit just right and only hit the glasses and just left a scratch on the lense. If it had hit me anywhere off the glasses I'd have a scar I'm sure. Anybody who knows how big those springs are can attest to that being a lot of force. I've gotten to where I need readers and my safety glasses are corrected so I have them on any time I'm in the shop. Anytime I'm grinding I wear a M95 mask and when powdercoating I use a dual filter spray mask.

I've worn glasses most of my life and yes, they've saved my sight more than a few times....

I was using the miter saw last night and stopped and thought about it before I began. Basic practice I know, but this time around I was really thinking it through.
Two years ago I sliced my pinky finger on a Patton cage fan - really bad. (6) hrs at the ER.
I got to thinking last night that if I messed up badly with the miter saw - the thought of going to the ER is daunting.

Then after I cut the blocks for the toolbox re-org, I was placing them under the Craftsman using a prybar to lift up the bottom just a smidge,
and BAM, prybar slipped, hand bashed into a sharp edge on the tool cabinet and now I have a minor mark on my index finger and it hurts to type.
There was the 'wooggie' feeling I had at the miter saw.

-=-=-=-=-=-
As far as signage goes, Bill Engvall has the routine...
I was working at FermiLab back around 1990 on one of the large detector projects in it's early stages.
Huge building, detector had a whole lot of battleship steel in/on it.
Welding going on all over it, overhead crane, extreme 'industrial' construction project going on.

And one of the scientists decided to he'd stroll into the area. . . In office attire.
Shorts, sandals - no socks, no hardhat, no glasses...
Someone hit the big red button, sirens & klaxons went off, and everything came to a grinding halt.
And the dimwit had no clue as to why he had caused a shutdown, as the last of the welding sparks dropped around him...

1586451671412.png

Funny these stories are kinda like telling jokes in a bar, one triggers another.

I ended up being tasked with building a fruit sizer in place. They were putting in a huge cold storage pack line and our company didn't have the floor space to build it at the plant so I built it at the cold storage as the cold storage was being built around us. Both of our crews, us building the sizer and the construction crew, suffered from temps. Where they would hire temp bodies to fill the crews and never train them just let 'em loose. They did more damage than work and if they sent me 20, maybe one wouldn't potentially kill me with their stupidity. I was constantly editing the crew for safety problems. When you are dealing with huge pieces of equipment the danger escalates fast. So I learned to listen to that little voice that said something was wrong.

Because the rooms where we were building the sizer in were the first part the end of the hallway was open. Like 20x20 and it was winter. So to block the wind they stacked plastic field bins all the way across and to the ceiling. But only one deep. Everytime I'd look at that my stomach flipped so I stayed away. But I had to look at that "wall" everytime I went to the head. More than once I had to yell at some dummy leaning up against it smoking! I'd always get the shrug and "what?". One day there was a storm and I'd just gone to the head and come back and I started to hear this roar and it went on for a long time. When I looked out the door there were bins tumbling by. The door was blocked for the rest of the day until they could unscramble the mess. I have no idea if that would have killed someone but it would have messed them up.

A cold storage is typically a "tilt up" type building where they cast the walls on the foundation floor then tilt them up with a crane. They had done that with the next room from us and were going hellbent for leather putting up the trusses for the ceiling roof system with a swarm of guys and cranes all hanging precariously, all the while their boss yelling at them to get it done. I looked through the door and got that flip again and got no more than 10' away and started hearing crashes. Nobody had tied the trusses together and they all dominoed then collapsed to the floor. I kept to my room until my job was done and got outta there.

Funny these stories are kinda like telling jokes in a bar, one triggers another.

I ended up being tasked with building a fruit sizer in place. They were putting in a huge cold storage pack line and our company didn't have the floor space to build it at the plant so I built it at the cold storage as the cold storage was being built around us. Both of our crews, us building the sizer and the construction crew, suffered from temps. Where they would hire temp bodies to fill the crews and never train them just let 'em loose. They did more damage than work and if they sent me 20, maybe one wouldn't potentially kill me with their stupidity. I was constantly editing the crew for safety problems. When you are dealing with huge pieces of equipment the danger escalates fast. So I learned to listen to that little voice that said something was wrong.

Because the rooms where we were building the sizer in were the first part the end of the hallway was open. Like 20x20 and it was winter. So to block the wind they stacked plastic field bins all the way across and to the ceiling. But only one deep. Everytime I'd look at that my stomach flipped so I stayed away. But I had to look at that "wall" everytime I went to the head. More than once I had to yell at some dummy leaning up against it smoking! I'd always get the shrug and "what?". One day there was a storm and I'd just gone to the head and come back and I started to hear this roar and it went on for a long time. When I looked out the door there were bins tumbling by. The door was blocked for the rest of the day until they could unscramble the mess. I have no idea if that would have killed someone but it would have messed them up.

A cold storage is typically a "tilt up" type building where they cast the walls on the foundation floor then tilt them up with a crane. They had done that with the next room from us and were going hellbent for leather putting up the trusses for the ceiling roof system with a swarm of guys and cranes all hanging precariously, all the while their boss yelling at them to get it done. I looked through the door and got that flip again and got no more than 10' away and started hearing crashes. Nobody had tied the trusses together and they all dominoed then collapsed to the floor. I kept to my room until my job was done and got outta there.
When i was working in the US I saw exactly the last scenario happen. Twice. Scary as heck!

When i was working in the US I saw exactly the last scenario happen. Twice. Scary as heck!

I've been to Canada to work supervise the fine and very capable workers at the Vancouver Convention Centre several times in the past few years. I can testify to the strict adherence to safety protocol.

Here's a picture of me in the required PPE for setting up networks there. BTW, this is the view from the loading dock and I had a similar view from my spot at the show services desk:encourage:

meinbc.jpeg

In fact the Canadians are only rivaled in safety by the Australians who not only have special electrical inspections for every power outlet and require license plates on their scissor lifts, but also specify that you must carry your little dog whilst riding on an escalator.

liftliscense.jpeg

carrydog.jpeg

Cheers,

John :grin:

I've been to Canada to work supervise the fine and very capable workers at the Vancouver Convention Centre several times in the past few years. I can testify to the strict adherence to safety protocol.

Here's a picture of me in the required PPE for setting up networks there. BTW, this is the view from the loading dock and I had a similar view from my spot at the show services desk:encourage:

In fact the Canadians are only rivaled in safety by the Australians who not only have special electrical inspections for every power outlet and require license plates on their scissor lifts, but also specify that you must carry your little dog whilst riding on an escalator.

View attachment 320321

Cheers,

John :grin:
You don't want to think about what happens to dogs when they aren't carried on escalators...:eek:

Back