Safety

There have been a few threads lately where the projects concerned might give one pause as to health and safety.

I am not a safety professional and would never pretend to be, but given some of the stuff I've been involved with over the years the fact that I'm typing this might be evidence that I do care about it.

My background is simple, my dad worked for United Technologies during the space race and built/tested Saturn V rockets. He taught me about physics from a very practical standpoint as well as basic shop safety. Later in life I participated in things like sailing, auto racing, and burning man when it was first getting started.

Two sayings were used in my worlds "Safety Fast" and "Safety Third".

The first one was from auto racing and if you want to understand ANYTHING about materials, fasteners, fabrication or the physics of a car going around a corner please read Carroll Smith. His "to win" books have been by my bedside for decades and I know that what he taught me definitely saved a life or two.

The second saying "Safety Third" came from my time with the Cacophony Society, Survival Research Laboratories, and the early days of Burning Man. We were makers of things that could take your hand or your life in a split second. Without the willingness to push the boundaries most of that stuff would have never happened and it was awesome stuff.

Surprisingly, in my short internet search Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs summed it up best here.

So, take care of yourselves and those around you. Ours is an awesome hobby but it's best when you get to show someone else the cool stuff you did....

John
Good post John.
The concern I have is the instructional machining videos posted on YouTube predominately aimed at young and hobby machinists. I've seen lots of dangerous practices and when commenting on them the comment is blocked. In an ideal world all videos on machining techniques should only be posted by Engineers who have completed a formal apprenticeship.

Good post John.
The concern I have is the instructional machining videos posted on YouTube predominately aimed at young and hobby machinists. I've seen lots of dangerous practices and when commenting on them the comment is blocked. In an ideal world all videos on machining techniques should only be posted by Engineers who have completed a formal apprenticeship.

YouTube is an open forum where anyone can post as long as they don’t violate the terms and/or get caught. In all honesty I don’t watch many of them and can’t comment on the safety practices of same.

There are however many good textbooks available which address safety and anyone coming on here as a beginner is usually directed to South Bends excellent “How to run a lathe”.

As for Engineers I don’t want to get into that, many competent people don’t have those credentials and some who do aren’t competent.

Cheers,

John

Engineer here in the states I think means something different. I’ve been at odds more than once with the head engineer over safety and it was always because of $$ they didn’t want to spend. And I ended up moving on because I value my health and body parts more than making a profit for the company.

Back