Rusty Mill

Any auction you want to factor in their additional fees..........so we have 12% buyers premium,5% proxbid premium (if you use it).,another premium for credit card use (5%).........and it also says there are local sales taxes........8.5% approx...........next are various hidden fees ,which are often special to an individual auction,and if a forklift isnt provided ,then there will likely be a "hanger on" with a fork charging anything to $100 for a single lift......So you bid $400,then add something like 1/3 (if the sales tax isnt waived for non residents),then maybe another $50 for a lift onto your truck.

This is true. If anyone is bidding on the actual mill you better read all the fine print first and the terms of the auction. You might get stabbed in the back with hidden charges. Gotta watch out for that on the real deal.

Any auction you want to factor in their additional fees..........so we have 12% buyers premium,5% proxbid premium (if you use it).,another premium for credit card use (5%).........and it also says there are local sales taxes........8.5% approx...........next are various hidden fees ,which are often special to an individual auction,and if a forklift isnt provided ,then there will likely be a "hanger on" with a fork charging anything to $100 for a single lift......So you bid $400,then add something like 1/3 (if the sales tax isnt waived for non residents),then maybe another $50 for a lift onto your truck.

They will load for free. I usually figure 20% on top of the bid if you pay cash.

It depends on how much time and energy plus cash you want to invest. I will say I own a Logan mill and it is a hoss. But it was in shop ready condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robopi, well I don't know either But in the US you have much more empty space between machines than in the UK!, but small to medium manual mills seem to sell, a half decent Bridgeport still makes £1500 plus, even though they used to make them 12 miles down the road from me in Bridlington when Adcock and Shipley had a factory there! I have a Harrison Horizontal which also has a vertical head , school machine, hardly used, and bought thought to be rusted, it was actually a thick layer of cutting oil and wood dust, underneasth it was pristine! Since the advent of Ebay prices have "hardened" enormously. Pre Ebay I bought a Colchester Student roundhead mk1 at an open auction in Hull for £180 ( today £1200+)with accesories and tooling. the smaller lathe next to it could be moved by two men into the back of a van, and although not half as good as the Colchester, it made £450! The Colchester rode back scarily on my 1 ton Nissan Cabstar pickup I still have it, and it is a really good machine! Paid £160 (now about £400) for an Alba 1A 12" shaper, off of Ebay, but out in the sticks in the north of England, but not far from me, and £53 for an immaculate Manchester Rapidor machine hacksaw , again because it was in the Northeast uk and folk dont want to travel!, You consider 150 to 200 miles to be on your doorstep, we consider that it is the length of the country!!

hermetic, I agree that eBay (and Craigslist) has hardened the prices. People can now see what other people are getting for them and price their own equipment accordingly. It's hard to find a decent Bridgeport mill for less than about $1500. Although on occasion I do see them for under $1000, but those are becoming increasingly rare finds.

You consider 150 to 200 miles to be on your doorstep, we consider that it is the length of the country!!

200 miles is my personal limit. I really don't want to travel much further with my old truck and trailer. I might go a little further if I found a really great deal on something. But generally I tend to look closer to home too. I live in a rural area though, so it's not likely that I'll find too many deals right next door to me.

I see the mill is currently holding steady at $160 with 4 more days to go. Someone might get lucky and pick it up for a song.

Does Evapo Rust come in 55gal barrels? :grin:

I think does, if I remember correctly from visiting their web site. (Edit) I googled to discover that you can get 55 gal containers thru Amazon for under $800 including free shipping.

Last edited:
Electrolysis makes a lot more sense for that job than Evapo-rust. Make tanks out of lumber, plywood, and plastic sheeting (or whatever you have,) add water, washing soda. some steel or carbon rods for anodes, and a battery charger.

Last edited:
Back