Rusty Mill

How much is scrap iron worth? Walk, do not run to the nearest exit.

Wow, those ways are gone. I wonder if the table even moves!
The opening bid sounds about right. Twenty-five bucks for a lifelong restoration project ;)

That's a sad end to a good machine.

Humm, not so fast. I like rusty machines - it really improves the price. Granted that looks bad, and I’d have to see it before I’d ever buy something like that. I’ve picked up two decent mills and a large drillpress - pretty cheap, mostly because they did not show very well - everyone else had either walked away / run away. I don’t need more machines - I’m buying more machines for fun, so I acquire at the very bottom price point. Most any unusual machine that presents badly, is a candidate (a bit rusty improves the likelihood that I can get it).

I agree with Chipper. If it were close to me I'd grab for as much as $400. I wouldn't pay much more than that only because by the time you get up to around $800 you can start finding some pretty clean machines. But yeah, I'd grab it at $400.

In fact, I had a Bridgeport mill that size and I'm ashamed to say that I had let it get extremely rusty. I had no choice. Nowhere to keep it so it sat outside under a tarp for years, and I was working R&D at the time and simply had no time to deal with it. I finally took it to the metal scrap yard and they gave me $400 for it just in scrap metal price.

I'm wishing I would have kept it now. Even as rusty as it was I think it could have been restored. Now I'm wishing I had one. And I've been looking. Just missed a really nice one for $895. But that's the cheapest one I've seen. Most are over a grand and not even as nice. In fact, I've see people asking a grand for mills like the one in the OP. I wouldn't pay that much for it. But for $400 it would be on my flat bed trailer. :grin:

That auction has 7 days to go. I'll bet it goes for at least $400. Maybe more.

Does Evapo Rust come in 55gal barrels? :grin:

Funny thing ... the description says 120 volt. But the main switch says 480V 3 phase. Ah, well ... waddya want for discount prices?

Funny thing ... the description says 120 volt. But the main switch says 480V 3 phase. Ah, well ... waddya want for discount prices?

The table has a 120 volt 2 amp power feed on the right side. That's probably where they got the 120 volt from.

I'd buy this mill for $400 without a second thought. But being that its in Arizona it's a bit too far for me to pick it up. :grin:

A lot can depend on who wants it and what they intend to use it for. For someone who is into super precision and just wants to buy a mill it wouldn't be worth looking at. But for someone who isn't worried about extreme precision and is just looking for a cheap starter mill, this mill can be brought back to life. Rust almost always looks far worse than it truly is.

I'll be surprised if this mill goes for less than $400.

Back