Rusty 3 Jaw Chuck

I finised with the rusty chucks this morning. I ran 4 chucks through the tank. The 3 jaw that I started this thread about, an 8" 4 jaw combination, a 12" 4 jaw cushman, and a 10" 3 jaw cushman. The cushman chucks both have the taper backplate to fit the Hendey. I like using a 4 jaw or collets for most stuff and a 3 jaw with soft jaws at times. When I saw the soft jaws on the 3 jaw I didn't really think much abou it. When I Reassembled it I found out why. It doesn't have the original master jaws. This became evident when the jaws didn't close evenly. My first thought was that I had them out of order. Nope. Checked the numbers...hmmm. They didn't match the number on the face of the chuck. The weirdest part is, I had to install them 2,3,1 to get something close enough to be usable with soft jaws. Wish I would have paid attention when I took it apart to see what order he was running them. Not something I anticipated.20170702_114508.jpg

hey Chuck, as a point of information, you can pour the electrolytic bucket water on your lawn after you're done with it
the lawn will love it!
keep it away from flowers and shrubs, there is too much iron in the spent electrolyte solution for their tastes.

Yep....my lawn is due for a drink. After all those parts the tub is pretty funky.

hey Chuck, as a point of information, you can pour the electrolytic bucket water on your lawn after you're done with it
the lawn will love it!
keep it away from flowers and shrubs, there is too much iron in the spent electrolyte solution for their tastes.
Hope there is none of those hex-chromes floating around in that bathtub... May want to make sure the PH is around 6 or higher, not too high, before dumping.

Hope there is none of those hex-chromes floating around in that bathtub... May want to make sure the PH is around 6 or higher, not too high, before dumping.
Good points.
i'm no authority by any means,
The paper i read on electrolyitic rust removal suggested that the spent electrolyte is relatively safe unless stainless steel is anywhere in the tank.
The paper further suggested feeding it to your lawn.
From first hand experience, the lawn never looked better with untreated spent electrolyte at unknown Ph.
I can't comment whether any hex-chromes are present, but the subject is certainly worthy of investigation.

A place I worked at several years ago had a chemist working for them in the maintenance department. His job was taking care of all collecting and disposal of all spent coolants, phosphating bath waters, oils, etc. He told me as long as the PH was close to 7 in any water based solutions that did not have soluble oil in it, could be, like you said, dumped on the ground. :eek: Of course, he also said, if any solutions contained hard metals like Cr, he didn't want to know about it, and it better not get dumped on company property! Yeah, phosphoric acid as found in phosphating solutions were ok to dump as long as the PH level was 7. But, the heavy metals kept it from being dumped down the sewer! It was hauled off in big vacuum trucks at $3000 a truck load back then!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back