Rusty 3 Jaw Chuck

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A while back I bought a Hendey lathe. The gentleman I bought it from was a retired mold maker that hadn't used his machines for a while. He gave me a ton of tooling and other related stuff that he had no use for anymore. His shop had some roof issues so there was some stuff that got wet and rusty. One of those things was a brand new 3 jaw chuck that he never got around to using. It was so rusty that I couldn't get the scroll or the jaws out of it. I let it soak in tranny fluid for a couple of weeks. This morning I slammed it down on my welding bench a few times and the scroll finally came loose. I decided to set up an electrolytic bath for it and see if I can save it. I used 4 pieces of 1/8" plate around the perimeter of a rectangler plastic container. Heres a pic of the chuck submerged in the electolyte and bubbling away. I didn't have the forsight to take a pic of the chuck before hand but I did get a pic of the scroll and pinions.20170624_094032.jpg 20170624_094641.jpg

WoW this must have been almost unrecognizable before.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I'm betting that you will be happy.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I'm betting that you will be happy.
I don't think its going to be a showpiece. One section of it is deeply pitted. As long as the important parts are smooth and clean I'll be happy. It appears to be an import. I don't know if it ran true before it was left to rust.

WoW this must have been almost unrecognizable before.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
Yep. Probably not worth messing with. I have 3 chucks that came with the lathe that arent as bad. I'll probably give them the same treatment.

the parts will need a vigorous brushing with a stainless steel brush after you get done with the electrolytic bath.
the electrolytic process converts red rust to black rust, the magnetite (black rust) should be removed by scrubbing and rinse with water, thoroughly dry.
the parts will start rusting in regular atmosphere almost immediately after drying.
you'll want to put some Colonel Red's Anti- Rust, or your favorite light oil to prevent further oxidation.
good luck, i look forward to seeing the results :)

the parts will need a vigorous brushing with a stainless steel brush after you get done with the electrolytic bath.
the electrolytic process converts red rust to black rust, the magnetite (black rust) should be removed by scrubbing and rinse with water, thoroughly dry.
the parts will start rusting in regular atmosphere almost immediately after drying.
you'll want to put some Colonel Red's Anti- Rust, or your favorite light oil to prevent further oxidation.
good luck, i look forward to seeing the results :)
Here's a few of the parts. I coated them with some eds red. The outside of the body is pitted badly but the rest of it cleans up well enough. Anyone recognize the logo?20170625_161802.jpg 20170625_161811.jpg 20170625_161821.jpg

the jaws and jaw ways will be the real factor here. if they survived and the back of the chuck is relatively flat- i'd say you got a save!!!
nice work!:D

Back