Royal Chuck Stops

nobog

Active User
Registered
Royal Chuck Stop - review: I've looked at these for a while but could not justify the price but I talked my employer to spring for the $ as I do occasional small jobs at home because "we are in a hurry".

http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catID=12

Nicely made, simple in design and operation, a good way to square thin parts. Yep, those are magnets and they do just fine, this is shown on a 6" chuck. Spendy - about $100 each, I got the 3 pc set as they are different thicknesses for depending on your application. Of course the blue anodize is a nice finishing touch.

Two thumbs up :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Royal_1-vi.jpg

Royal_2-vi.jpg

Royal_3-vi.jpg

Royal_1-vi.jpg Royal_2-vi.jpg Royal_3-vi.jpg

Those look like a great idea, thank for the post, I CA glue little blocks of aluminum to my chuck and face them (with the jaws off) for this, these look very handy.

Royal Chuck Stop - review: I've looked at these for a while but could not justify the price but I talked my employer to spring for the $ as I do occasional small jobs at home because "we are in a hurry".

http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catID=12

Nicely made, simple in design and operation, a good way to square thin parts. Yep, those are magnets and they do just fine, this is shown on a 6" chuck. Spendy - about $100 each, I got the 3 pc set as they are different thicknesses for depending on your application. Of course the blue anodize is a nice finishing touch.

Two thumbs up :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

View attachment 79790

View attachment 79791

View attachment 79792

Nice clean design. I wish they had those when I was running production.

I can't help but think that would make a good project for those of us who are too cheap to spend any money.

My exact same though, LOL, I'm already planing it out as CNC project for the winter when I have more time.

Planning is a VERY important part of your project. You want to be able to complete it with the machine(s) you have, in the easiest way, with the best accuracy and whatever else I’m forgetting? You do not want to paint yourself into a corner, so to speak. Second operations using a chuck stop like in this thread are very handy, but are they always needed? That’s a very debatable question. Yes, I have more than one chuck stop. But I can probably count on two hands all the times I have needed to use a chuck stop. There are other techniques for us to use like better planning, pods, jigs and fixtures that can be machined in place to yield a far better accuracy and speed. Better yet, plan your project without the need for one! If I was to use a chuck stop, then it would be something like pictured that I made from scrap plate and works just fine. It could even be made from Delrin or other kind of plastic…Good Luck.stop2.JPG

stop2.JPG

We can plan but change is inevitable. As shown in the first photo - the thin white disk - we have hundreds of these and are made up in blanks then modified so this is where the chuck stops work. Now, the "real machinist" at work have a collet made to this diameter so thats the "right way". For the onesy-twosy stuff at home I've had many occasions to use the parallel trick to square things up - so as I said - pricy but handy.

Jim

Those are nice looking indeed.

When I do larger lathe work I only have an independent 4 jaw and made this up for a piece of aluminum rod and then a bunch of various thickness spacers to accommodate work pieces of various thickness.
spider.jpgspider with spacers.jpgspacers.jpg

David

spider.jpg spider with spacers.jpg spacers.jpg

I see ENCO has the 3 pc set for $209 + free shipping.

JK

Back