Rough threads after threading with die

McMaster rarely list the brand name of anything, They know you can probably find it cheaper someplace else. But they always have it in stock and they generally do not carry anything that is junk. I have never been disappointing and I order a lot from them. In the last few years their pricing has gotten better, thay are sometimes cheaper than places like MSC.

I've been looking at CH Peters and their prices aren't terrible at all. Definitely going to be heading in there. Thanks!

+1 for McMaster-Carr. No brands but no junk (in my limited experience).

1018 has a low machinability rating (45%) and in my experience always leaves rough threads, YMMV. 1117 is better at 91% machinability, but you might like 12L14, rating 190%, and IMHO is to steel what Carrara marble is to sculpture....BTW, Craftsman dies were available as round or hex in the good old days, were HSS and cut nicely. Retreading dies were sold in sets and were distinctly different.

Wow, thats good to know! I might have to grab some 12L14 then. Its about the same price anyways, and if it works better, might as well. Thanks!

1018 has a low machinability rating (45%) and in my experience always leaves rough threads, YMMV. 1117 is better at 91% machinability, but you might like 12L14, rating 190%, and IMHO is to steel what Carrara marble is to sculpture....BTW, Craftsman dies were available as round or hex in the good old days, were HSS and cut nicely. Retreading dies were sold in sets and were distinctly different.
My Craftsman round die set is fifty years old. I had believed it to be HSS until it was pointed up on this forum fairly recently. It was advertised as Kromedge, an alloy steel with a chrome plating for wear resistance. The taps and dies are definitely not HSS, as confirmed by a spark test. My experience with their cutting ability has always been so-so. They work but not nearly as well as a name brand. The cutting edges on the taps and dies have zero rake. It makes for a stronger cutting edge but requires more cutting force.

Back