Rough threads after threading with die

I've never even heard of such a thing, but after a quick search, they look really interesting. Definitely need to look into them more. Thanks for the info!

Yes, die heads are the bomb, but I would also suggest using TapMagic as the cutting oil. I have a Geometric die head, 3/4" capacity, and they are quite easy to change chasers, I also have a Jones & Lampson Hartness die, they are not nearly so easy to change chasers.

I've seen both round and hex style dies for cutting threads. So don't assume that because it hex it's only for re-threading

All my dies are HSS and I have both hex and round split button dies and all of them cut threads; none are thread chasers. All cut threads just fine but none cut as clean as a thread cut on the lathe. That's why I cut threads on the lathe when the quality of the thread matters.

All my dies are HSS and I have both hex and round split button dies and all of them cut threads; none are thread chasers. All cut threads just fine but none cut as clean as a thread cut on the lathe. That's why I cut threads on the lathe when the quality of the thread matters.
That is true, but not all are really capable of cutting nice quality threads, unless it is possibly some free cutting material.

American Vermont is the cheap stuff you find in a hardware store. I have never had good luck with any of their taps or dies. Yes they will cut a thread, it is a usable thread, but it is always ugggggggly. Spend a bit more and get name brand quality taps and dies, Once you use the good stuff you will never even consider the cheap stuff again.

Yeah, it was the only real choice I had local that I could find (I tried searching online for stuff in Milwaukee, but didn't see anything). 10-32 isn't a normally stocked size anywhere (and now even American Vermont discontinued it, heh). The only place online I even found one that wasn't a "cheap" one was McMaster, but then again, I'm not sure where else to look. I ended up ordering some stock to cut a threading tool, so Ill try that route and see how it works out. Was hoping to make it a faster process with a die, but you got to do what you got to do. I plan on offering some of the parts up to the community, so speed to produce is a factor.

10-32 is a standard UNF thread and pretty common. I use it a lot. I have never had any issue finding the taps or dies. I very rarely ever use the #10-24. I also have not found a quick easy source for tooling IN the Milwaukee area that will work with hobbyists, But there is a nice small shop in Racine that I have used when I need it now. They are are very helpful getting the right tool for your job at hand. Not the cheapest but they have the knowledge and the parts in stock. I'll pay more for that every time.

I have also used Machinery & Factory Industrial Supply on 6th st in Racine. They are not as knowledgeable but have a lot of stuff. Neither place is good for browsing.

McMaster is next business day to the Milwaukee area, out of Chicago if you order before 5:00 PM.

Granger also sometimes has tooling you can pickup local same day.

It is a very popular misconception that all hex dies are rethreading dies and all round dies are cutting dies. While I have never seen or heard of a round rethreading die, I believe the round are always for thread cutting. Which also means that rethreading dies are always hex. Hence the confusion.
For thread cutting dies it is common to see them in either hex or round, The better quality thread cutting dies are round split dies so that you can adjust the fit of the thread, the cheaper thread cutting dies are not adjustable and usually the hex ones.
Another part of the misconception is that Vermont American dies are always crap and always hex so people assume that they are rethreading dies when they were intended to be cutting dies.

To tell the difference between a rethreading die and a cutting die look at the shape of the cutting edges. A cutting die will have a hook shape to cut into the metal where a rethreading die has a ramp shape. A rethreading die is not supposed to cut away the damaged thread, it is supposed to push it back into place. Running a cutting die down a damaged thread will cut away any material the is out of place leaving damaged looking threads behind.

I recently made a part out of Titanium, It needed a 1/4-20 thread 3/4 deep. In a pinch I got a Vermont American tap from the hardware store and I was only able to get 2 threads deep into the hole before the tap turning so hard I was sure it would snap if I turned any harder. I ordered a good spiral tap from McMaster got it the next day and it went in to the full depth of the hole with only slightly more force than running it to aluminum would be. It does make a difference. I knew better but tried it anyhow.

Last edited:
I'm usually willing to pay more for something I can get right now and not have to stop a project instead of having to wait, so Ill have to check out those two places next time. Sounds like the McMaster stuff is decent then too (there was no brand or anything, so it was like, I have no idea what I'm getting). I've ordered from them before and I know they are fast, but their whole shipping system always makes me leery too. Thank you so much for the great information! I really appreciate it!

Back