ROTEX RM-1 Rebuild (kind of)

Thanks for the pics! I learned a lot!!! I am realizing there appears to be no way to lubricate the spindle quill and its cast housing, so it makes sense that the close-tolerance steel-on-steel assembly is all locked up! And then, I noticed there was a slot in the quill stop thread on your machine, and I didn't realize mine was facing the quill.

I see what you mean regarding drilling a hole to drive the motor armature up through the pulley. That is a good solution. For some weird reason, I was able to get my motor pulley off.

I'm wrestling with removing the pulley from a frozen spindle assembly. I got the pulley set screw out, and I'm looking into a gear puller to pull the pulley off with the housing from the spindle shaft. Then, I can get a closer look into the spindle.

It would help if I had the parts list and a schematic! Are you aware of any sources for manuals? I'm also curious about what years these machines were produced. The serial number on the RM-1 mill is 10342, and the vertical head is Model No VA255, S/N 253.

Posts #48 and 50 on page 5 show pics of the quill and housing disassembled. You can see exactly what you're working with. Be SUPER careful with the pulleys. They are brittle.

I think I found two posts on this machine and there wasn't much information. That's why I did this rebuild thread. Here's one.

I believe these were from the 50's. The only thing I found on mine was a label inside the switchbox dated 1948. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachments/img_20210901_111106699-jpg.377872/

I never found a parts list or diagram. I think one was discussed in the link I above.

Last edited:
My serial number is 10353 after going back and looking the pics I posted.

I have a frozen spindle-to-sleeve problem!
The spindle rotates in the quill, BUT I am not able to disassemble the splined end of the spindle because the spline sleeve is frozen to the spindle shaft.

I have tried PB-Blaster, ATF/acetone, pullers, pushing the spline shaft out on a hydraulic arbor press, and ultra-sound. It won't budge. I will try heat and wax next. I can see the end of the spline sleeve about 1" down. The penetrates just sit in the top 1" of the sleeve for days with NO penetration. My questions are:
  • How long are the splines in the spline sleeve?
  • It looks like a .625 x 6 straight-side spline. Or is it an involute spline?
    • I really, really don't want to cut the sleeve off the spindle!
And thanks to astoyman for the spindle bearing info and parts pictures in posts #48 and #50.

I appreciate any info or insight!

Thanks, Dan

Attachments

• IMG_5690.JPG
    IMG_5690.JPG
    441.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5689.JPG
    IMG_5689.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 4
Do you see the threads on the shaft just below the splines in the pic above? I think there is a collar with a tabbed washer there. I think it is a bearing adjustment. I don't remember for sure. I think it was a notched adjustment collar and you bend the tabs from the washer to keep it from backing off.

As far as rust is concerned, maybe an electrolysis tank? Lots of youtube videos.

I went back to post #50 on page 5 and I can see the retainer and washer in the pic. Here's a screen shot and I circled the parts I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231226-213204~2.png
    Screenshot_20231226-213204~2.png
    965.7 KB · Views: 6
I hope this helps. If you didn't get the collar off, that's why it's not coming out. If you did, I guess you can try something else for the rust. Good luck!
Scott

I hope this helps. If you didn't get the collar off, that's why it's not coming out. If you did, I guess you can try something else for the rust. Good luck!
Scott
Thanks Scott,

Yes, I was able to remove the nut and the retainer washer... I will make sure it is totally off the threads...
And I will try electrolysis - good idea... it's worked well on some other very rusty parts!

Dan

Back