Rotary table size

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking for suggestions and knowledge on the best size rotary table for a mill drill. Table is 9 1/2 x 32”. Also would like recommendations on brands. Thank you

6"-8" are a good fit for the mill/drills. Brands come down to what you can find, but I consider the Taiwan-made Vertex as the floor for acceptability in quality and motion. Older Japanese RTs are very nice. There aren't many US makes in that size range. There are a lot of Chinese ones out there, but they are meant to look like a rotary table more so than function like one. I don't think I'm alone in that opinion, and I'm warning you so you don't have to buy a tool twice to find one that you like using.

6"-8" are a good fit for the mill/drills. Brands come down to what you can find, but I consider the Taiwan-made Vertex as the floor for acceptability in quality and motion. Older Japanese RTs are very nice. There aren't many US makes in that size range. There are a lot of Chinese ones out there, but they are meant to look like a rotary table more so than function like one. I don't think I'm alone in that opinion, and I'm warning you so you don't have to buy a tool twice to find one that you like using.
Thank you, I appreciate your input. That’s what I don’t want to do is buy twice. I’m a buy once cry once kind of guy. Been scoping fleabay out, there’s a few that grabbed my attention but I figured I better get some info from you guys first. Thanks

I have a no name, made in Japan, 10" Rotary Table and it's sort of too large for my Bridgeport clone, 9"x42" table. I am keeping my eye out for a 6", I think that would work for most anything I do.
Not sure of the new Asian brands but a nice vintage Palmgren would probably do.

Phase 2 rotary tables are very good at their price range. I picked up a 6” for $100 on OfferUp a few years back.

You can always make an adapter plate to hold larger parts. I made a 10” diameter plate for the 6” with zero issues.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I have a no name, made in Japan, 10" Rotary Table and it's sort of too large for my Bridgeport clone, 9"x42" table.
Just curious, what's "too large" mean? Too heavy to lift? Or does the footprint of the thing prevent access to other functions on the mill?
I have a 9", but my benchtop mill is a lot smaller than your BP so maybe similar proportionally. Compared to a 6", I'm glad I have more room for clamps, without needing a separate adapter plate that overhangs past the turntable. I like the size.

In general though I like the idea of buying one that's big enough for most jobs and no bigger, if only for lifting it, and storing it when it's off the mill.

Mine is a Troyke, made in Ohio in the '40s, very high quality and cheaper than a new Chinese one. Of course buying used comes with risks like worn-out surfaces, broken or missing parts etc. I lucked out, mine was rusty but apparently little used, "low miles", cleaned up nice.

I have a Vevor 8: rotary table on my bench mill.
Table size is 8.25" x 27.5" and the rotary table is a great fit.
Super impressed by the table. The grinding is flawless, surfaces are as parallel as I can measure, action is butter smooth and the interior was completely grit-free.
d95471ca50e5912476a48e8f580475ab.jpg

21edd4547f5d29c5b0c207bda3857866.jpg

A Vertex (Taiwanese) 8” would be ideal. I have two. Here’s the unit HV8) and seller (Eisen) I recommend:

Just curious, what's "too large" mean? Too heavy to lift? Or does the footprint of the thing prevent access to other functions on the mill?
I have a 9", but my benchtop mill is a lot smaller than your BP so maybe similar proportionally. Compared to a 6", I'm glad I have more room for clamps, without needing a separate adapter plate that overhangs past the turntable. I like the size.

In general though I like the idea of buying one that's big enough for most jobs and no bigger, if only for lifting it, and storing it when it's off the mill.

Mine is a Troyke, made in Ohio in the '40s, very high quality and cheaper than a new Chinese one. Of course buying used comes with risks like worn-out surfaces, broken or missing parts etc. I lucked out, mine was rusty but apparently little used, "low miles", cleaned up nice.
My RT is probably from the 50's 60's, so built very solid and yes, quite heavy. It is slightly wider than the mill table, and requires moving the vise to mount it. A smaller one would fit next to the vise and be more convenient to use. It's also a horizontal style, I would probably make better use of a horizontal/vertical model.
Honestly, I never used it for anything more than about 6"-7" diameter. Most of its use has been bolt hole circles but now that I have the DRO I don't even need it for that. I've probably only used it a dozen times in the 30+ years I've had it...

I bought a 12 inch Phase II years ago when stuff was relatively inexpensive. Most of the time I shuffle it around with
a chain hoist to set it on the mill or remove it. To it's credit, it is very accurate and came with dividing plates as well.
I have made lots of gears with it and have not found need to purchase a dividing head. It's a keeper.:)

Back