Rotary Table Questions

I've got a 10" on my rf25 , it's very heavy but seems to be fine on it.

You could toe clamp it down for vertical use perhaps.

How does the oil cap deal with being sideways? Does it just let you know theirs tooo much oil in their ? :)

Stuart

I think I'll just take the tabs off and use the bolt holes for vertical use. Not sure about the oil cap. I just finished filling it with oil and will have to see what happens when I put it into the vert position.

I had a bit of an anxious moment when I read the owners manual and it stated, in bold print, not to rest the hand wheel on a surface, or bump it, as this could damage the worm gear. The hand wheel is lower than the bottom of the RT base. Because this was on display (apparently for a very long time) the store did not have the original box. So I took the RT and placed it in the bed of my PU truck (on a rubber mat) but the hand wheel was resting on the mat with quite a bit of weight on it and traveled for over an hour and on some fairly rough road to get home. After checking the RT movements everything feels fine. Hope I didn't do any damage. Doesn't seem like it anyways.

I think I'll just take the tabs off and use the bolt holes for vertical use. Not sure about the oil cap. I just finished filling it with oil and will have to see what happens when I put it into the vert position.

I had a bit of an anxious moment when I read the owners manual and it stated, in bold print, not to rest the hand wheel on a surface, or bump it, as this could damage the worm gear. The hand wheel is lower than the bottom of the RT base. Because this was on display (apparently for a very long time) the store did not have the original box. So I took the RT and placed it in the bed of my PU truck (on a rubber mat) but the hand wheel was resting on the mat with quite a bit of weight on it and traveled for over an hour and on some fairly rough road to get home. After checking the RT movements everything feels fine. Hope I didn't do any damage. Doesn't seem like it anyways.

Interesting on it being oil filled, mines got grease zerks.

The handles can be a pain as you say because they go lower than the base of the table, I have an off cut of a 2 by 8 that mine sits on to keep the handle from touching the bench during storage. I've definetly had it act like a wheel unintentionaly when mooving it.

If their was damage I suspect the handle would bind during rotation from the shaft bending, their fairly sturdy things :)

Stuart

I think grease would be better but I read some other threads where guys were talking about what kind of oil to use in their RT's. One member commented that his is always slowly leaking oil and needs to be replenished. There seemed to be quite a variation on what oil to use and my manual only states that it should be filled with oil before use. No specification provided. Others have used anything from 30W non detergent motor oil, way oil, spindle oil and hydraulic fluid. One member read a manufacturers spec that included Shell Telus 46 and after checking an info sheet on that I decided the hydraulic / transmission oil for my tractor would be suitable and that is what I went with.

I checked the operation of the RT after filling it with oil and got very worried for a few seconds because it started to bind and the binding got worse as I turned the wheel. :dejected:A little head scratching and the answer revealed itself ..... the rear clamp was dragging slightly and as I cranked the wheel clockwise it would self tighten. Loosen the clamp a little more and problem gone. It operates very smoothly and there's very little backlash.:)

Back