Rookie Mistake

plongson

Registered
Registered
Not in the machine shop but running the plasma cutter yesterday...Oh my, how dumb do I feel! Been doing this stuff all my life and I'm 70.

Plasma cut was really bad, I mean REAL bad. I fiddled and farted around with everything and just could not understand what the heck was going on...

I hadn't attached the ground clamp. My good buddy was there watching as witness, I'll never live it down.

Wait till you forget the drainplug and put 5 quarts on the driveway... then you have arrived
Back in my early years was in the shop changing my service truck oil. While draining the oil the BIG boss comes out and what’s to feel like the boys. Was talking for acouple minutes and figured I’d better do something while yappin my lip. I start adding oil. A minute later the boss says hey you’re leaking something. Look down and yep didn’t put the plug in! SOB! He joked around sayin I hope u don’t service the equipment like that. I came back at him “never” I’m by myself so I don’t get distracted. Unfortunately I did it and Have never done that again in 25yrs.

Yea, being human is a difficult existence at best. I'm thankful I work in my shop alone so nobody can see my mistakes. Still, I sometimes embarrass myself.
I did one this morning also. Misread my Starrett mic by .025. I've had these mics for around 40 years and used them professionally for over 30. At least I was able to salvage the part......albeit with considerable effort. :rolleyes:

I’ve (somehow?) changed my DRO on the mill to MM instead of inches.
Done it twice over the years. Both times took a while to figure it out.
First time it happened I didn’t feel too bad.
Second time I thought “What a Dumass”.

Back