Roll your own Machine Skates

How much does the machine weigh? If not more then 3K , there's the car movers at HF for around $45.00 per set two sets should move it easy. I've wondered why I don't see these in use for LATHES and mills. They look to be strong enough to handle most machines under 5K in weight.
At least I'm thinking of getting them to try. I've always got my lengths of pipe and a pry bar 5' long.

While bearings are the best, they are not necessary. I have some shop-made skates and the wheels are 3" stock with holes drilled in them. The axles are stock also, but have holes and grooves in them to allow the grease, squirted in from the ends where there are grease fittings, to spread out along the axles. Greasing the axles makes a huge difference. The frame around the wheels is 1/2" steel. These things are beasts and weigh around 50 lbs each. I also have a caterpillar style, like the Hilmans that works well too. No way to grease the axles in that though.
If you go with bolts and no bearings, make sure the wheels do no bear on the threaded area of the bolts. It will wear quicker.

Chris

Thanks guys! The machine is 12k lbs. I found a set of hillman 8 ton rollers to rent for 80 bucks. Thank god. Monday is creeping up on me and have enough to do before then. I thought about welding together 3 or 4 of those 40 buck bearing style linked for the front and use 2 of them by themselves at the rear.

Toe jack build from bottle jack is now priority #1.

Then when the machine is in place I can take more time making a set properly. And I will have some experience using a couple styles along the way. So much needs to fall into place at the right time. So far so good. Now I just need to stop this cold from getting me. Zinc! C! Water!

Back