Roll your own Machine Skates

Zamfir

Registered
Registered
I was able to get pictures of the skates my friend borrowed to move the Mazak around.
I am going to make these but had a question.

Can I just use bolts for the axles and drilled out steel rod for the wheels without bearings?

I am poor but not weak. Lol. I can upgrade them later to have bearings when I have the lathe up and running. But I need it in my shop first.

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

This setup was used to move the 1,200 lb Lathe around. Evidently it worked awesome. The front skate has a handle bolted to it to pull and turn. The 2 rear skates have a double thick plate on one end with a hole drilled in them. That way you can insert a steel bar and turn them while on the machine.

Think it will work with no bearings?

Thanks! I will update on what we end up making. Then of course the fun we have moving..

I've never made one myself or have experience with them but back when I took the machining course at the local CC w/ my little brother, there was a fellow that I met that was making his own. He used ball bearings for the actual wheels. Came out very nice but I have no idea how well it worked.

You could, but obviously the less friction the better. So polish the bolts, ream the holes and use a lot of grease. Using bearings directly doesn't strike me as such a good idea as the weight would be concentrated on a small area which can damage the concrete surface. But, to each their own. You do what you must.

the addition of bronze or delrin bushings would greatly reduce the friction
you could turn your own bushings and install them in the rollers, for superior operation and better load capacity due to the reduction of friction

I've used a number of different machinery skates and I always like the Hilman chain style the best. They are hard to describe, but they are built in such a way that the pins that hold the rollers never carry the load. No need for bearings, as the rollers themselves transfer the load directly to the frame of the skate and no bearings are needed. When any one roller is carrying a load, the pin that runs through it is simply floating inside the roller. The rotating top can also be locked from swiveling if desired. They are expensive, but when moving a large, heavy piece of equipment they are a lifesaver. A photo is worth a thousand words:
Hilman Roller Skates.jpg

I can rent a set of those chain rollers for 150 a day. Maybe that is best. Then I could make a set the right way.

I understand now why those hillman chain rollers are so popular. They really spread the load out over the whole bottom on all the rollers rather than on just a few wheels. Like the Egyptians used to do with moving the pipe or sticks but it is all contained and just keeps truckin and laying down more pipe.

I think the way the movers in the picture were made was with steel pipe with bearings inside.

Maybe it is worth renting for 150 putting it in place and then if I need to move it again I can make them right with the right tools. Hmmm.

I made a set with 2 bearings on each axle - 32 bearings. Works so easily a 2500 lb. lathe will move on a VERY, VERY, VERY, slight incline by itself, note the emphasis. Don't turn Your back on it unless it's blocked.

I've got several sets of machine skates.
And I certainly don't need them all!
I'll try to get some posted in the classifieds section next week if anyone is interested.
I'll attempt to elaborate condition and provide pics, including what I've done to make them fully functional.

Daryl
MN

I bought four of these when they were on sale. The cost of material and bearings to make a set was not much less.

Back