Rockwell 25-OX6

So since I don't know anybody who will machine this thing into the t shape you describe. Here's the plan. The plate needs to be .275 thick to fit the slot in the compound. It is currently .477 thick. If I deck the entire thing down .200 then like you say Tim, I don't have much for thread contact area. So what I'm going to do is chuck this thing up and face off .202, but not all the way to the center, only until it can slide in the slot. This way it will be strong and have full thread contact. The only thing I'm worried about is the intermittent contact with my cutter from the facing of a square object. Any advise on speed ?or just run standard facing formula for speed?

Just like your facing a piece of round stock. And make sure your setup is as rigid as possible. Locked carriage, minimal tool overhang.

Here's how I did it. I used a travel indicator, and peeled off a little at a time until I had my .202null_zps0912d25f.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It turned out fine.null_zpsff00da5f.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Now I need some new projects.null_zpsb96a984f.jpg

null_zps0912d25f.jpg

null_zpsff00da5f.jpg

null_zpsb96a984f.jpg

That works. Now you just need to get some tooling and holders, the more you have the more you will need. Tim

Actually, why not build yourself a rotary broach with a MT3 taper to fit in your tailstock? There are several posts on the web on building one. Tim

The post came with 2 tool holders, knurling tool, parting tool, and boring bar holder. I'll look into building that tail stock tool. If I can do it with just a lathe and a welder , consider it built. I have a ton of high speed steel. I really like the stuff and I'm pretty decent at making cutters out of it.I also have some with a piece of carbide glued on the end.I plan on getting some indexable carbide cutters soon.null_zpsb2270ceb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is the handle to my next hammer. No more nipple on the end,because I was able to actually center my cutter. Also look in the grooves, nice and clear. Before with the other setup, my tool setup wasn't strong. When pushing a parting tool in, I would get lots of chatter. This makes a bad finish, but not anymore! I'm happy with the QCTP.null_zpsc976f40b.jpg

null_zpsb2270ceb.jpg

null_zpsc976f40b.jpg

Look at the carbide depot website, it is a good reference to the different inserts. I have several but I am trying to keep most of my inserts one size and only a couple of styles, that way I only need to get a few inserts for several tools. Tim

oh yeah, the rotary broach may need a mill or a way to cut a 1* angle.

Interesting knurling you are doing on those hammer handles.

I am not sure if it is washed out because you are using the tool at that crazy angle to the work, or if you are using only one knurl wheel, or if it is just a trick of the light in the photos.

Nice lathe!

Hey thanks! That knurl job was a little funkey. I got a new knurler with the tool post. I have also been experimenting on the angle of the knurler. I think I like the old knurler better.

Well tomorrow back to school. This quarter I will be learning how to use manual milling with dro and I believe the machines have power feed. So now I'm looking to buy a mill. I found a grizzled pedestal mounted mill for 1300$ it's new, any thoughts? I mostly want to mill gun receivers.

These are not the strongest mills, but they are small enough to fit in almost any shop. I would add a DRO if it does not have one and use it for small projects. I have a 6x26 (of similar breed) mill that was given to me, eventually I will get it scraped and put back together with a one shot lube system. Tim

Back