Riggers in PGH?

Aurelius

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone,
I'm in the Pittsburgh area and I am anxiously awaiting my lathe from Precision Matthews that is slated to get here in November.
Between now and then I need to figure out how to get it from PM to my basement.
It is about 20-25 miles from Pm to my house and, ideally, I am looking for someone to pick it up directly from them and bring it to the house. Then I would need to get the crate through a Bilco door, down a few concrete steps, and then get the uncrated lathe hoisted onto a stand which I will have ready and waiting.
If anybody would be able to do this or might be able to refer to someone who could, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

You can do it with a chain hoist, some plywood, and an engine hoist. anyone near him that has moved machinery? (I'm just over 2000 miles away, sorry can't help)

Which lathe are you getting?

A 1022 DIY is very possible even with little experience, a 1640 I think even some with experience moving machines might defer to using professional riggers.

Good point Aaron. weight and size are essential factors in making a moving plan. I'll personally move anything up to 5000 lbs. After that, riggers only.

Well, split the difference, I'm getting a 1228. Approximately 28″W x22″H x 52″L crated and weighing in at 670 pounds according to the PM site.
It's definitely big enough and, having never done anything like this, I am far from confident in my ability to not damage my self or my house or both were I to try.
Better safe than very, very sorry.

Well, split the difference, I'm getting a 1228. Approximately 28″W x22″H x 52″L crated and weighing in at 670 pounds according to the PM site.
It's definitely big enough and, having never done anything like this, I am far from confident in my ability to not damage my self or my house or both were I to try.
Better safe than very, very sorry.

I'd say the 1228 is in the DIY capable range, I've moved several machines of approximately that weight and I really have no idea what I'm doing. ;)

I certainly understand wanting to play it safe, and I was in the position of already having had most of the needed tools for moving my machines. If you need to spend a few hundred dollars on equipment riggers probably look more attractive.
There are quite a few youtube videos demonstrating moving machines and lots of supportive members who can talk you through the process if you need a confidence boost.

I'm all the way across the country so can't help with moving or recommending a service. You may try asking PM though, I would think that they probably have a relationship with some local companies.

Consider renting a drop deck trailer.

While I have never moved any thing at that weight. My machines are 1100 lbs, 1800 lbs and 3400 lbs. All came down the basement steps as DIY moves. I called a number of riggers and they will not touch a move into a basement. Furniture movers will not touch a machine.
With a bit of planning your machine will not be an issue. ALWAYS think safety FIRST, that machine is still plenty heavy to do very serious damage if someone gets under it.
Build a ramp for the steps.
Get a dolly to make rolling easy.
If you have to move across grass lay down plywood so that it will roll easy.
Use a winch or similar to lower the weight in a controlled manor. I used my truck parked in the back yard as an anchor and lowering mechanism. In your case most any car would be plenty.

When I moved my machines NO ONE was allowed in the house or basement or even downhill of the load during the move, just in case something got away.

I've moved BP mills and 3600 lb LeBlond lathes UP stairs, but not down stairs. Piano movers took those pieces down the stairs on plywood without my help.

Really if you do careful planning and judicious disassembly you can move your lathe down the stairs safely. What most people find out too late is that lathes are *very* top heavy, so it cannot be on its stand(s) when moving it down a ramp.

Just a quick anecdote: My first move was a 750 lb 12X37 lathe down 11 stairs with an abrupt turn at the bottom. I thought that having inexperienced but very strong fellows to help me would make a difference, but that did not help at all.

In short:
-Only one person in control
-everybody is briefed before each move segment, including off limits areas.
-rig for safety: if anything happens that is unexpected choose personal safety over anything else (such as saving the load)
-use equipment and anchors more than 4 times the needed strength
- go as slow as you need or even slower. it is never a race.

My second move was to take a 1700 lb mill off a trailer, and then up a 7-10% slope for 10 feet into a garage. All alone. It took me 5 1/2 hours, but there were no slips or unexpected movements. No crane or lifting equipment, just a pry bar, 2 X 10s, wood wedges , plywood and some 1" solid bars...

I'm now on machine move 17 now, so I have more equipment and more experience.

Everyone, thanks for all the suggestions.
I really wish I could implement more of them. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the equipment that keeps getting mentioned. No hoist, no winch, none of that. This is my first big tool, hence why I asked specifically for people who could help me move this. I know that there is a strong DIY ethic here, but I would prefer to just pay someone to do this right rather than have to go buy all this tooling and then figure out how to do this myself.

Back