Review - Rolair 20 Gallon Compressor

I bought a Rolair compressor (2.5 hp.) earlier this year. So far I am very pleased with it. I opted for a model that gave more CFM over a lower db rating, as it will primarily be used on construction sites. Although it is rated at 86 db. which is loud, it doesn't seem as loud and doesn't have as an annoying tone as most similar sized compressors, I've experienced. It puts out plenty of air and though made in China it is void of crappyness. Definitely a step up from a big box store compressor. The only problem I had, was it arrived with a bent wheel, which I attribute to poor packing, a call to the vendor got a replacement in 2 days....

My dislike of this new compressor continues to grow. I ran it for about 15 minutes today, it gets hot, smells hot (stinks) and the 1.5hp motor continuously trips its dedicated 20amp breaker :burned up: If you are thinking cord length think again, the single outlet is at most 4 feet from the breaker and I have the compressor plugged directly into it via its 4 foot cord so your talking 8 feet max.

I don't know .but if you are haveing a problem like that I would say the check valve between the head and tank is not holding. I could be wrong my wife tells that all the time.

I would call customer service. When I had a problem with my Rolair they sent me the new part 2nd day UPS.

Well this compressor is getting returned. I got around to finally testing the problem of it tripping the breaker and confirmed the unit is malfunctioning. I swapped out the 20 amp breaker for another one. The compressor ran one cycle and filled the tank. I began using the air and the compressor came back on, ran about 30 seconds and tripped the new breaker. I plugged it into another 20 amp circuit and it wouldn't even turn on, instantly tripped that breaker. The manufacture is talking to me about taking it to a local repair facility LOL, I think not its brand new it shouldn't need to be repaired.

Your right it should work . The check valve between the head and tank is not holding. Also the valve that is supposed to drain the line between the tank and the head is not dumping the air . When the compressor stops you should hear the air in the line between the tank and the head drain. I would take it back.

I do hear the air drain after the compressor stops after filling the tank, it goes pshhhhhhhh for a couple of seconds.

I spoke with the local service center they think it has a bad motor. I'm taking it in tomorrow.

I spoke with the local service center they think it has a bad motor. I'm taking it in tomorrow.

I was about to buy this same compressor until I saw your review. What was the outcome with the local service center? Has it gotten quieter with some time on the pump?

Back