Review - Rolair 20 Gallon Compressor

coolidge

Active User
Registered
This is an assembled in USA Rolair 20 gallon compressor 1.5 HP 7.3 CFM model 5520K17A. If I had to sum up my review I would say its 'buyers remorse' :(

First while they assemble them in the USA I guess they don't test them because the thing has a ridiculously bad air leak at the drain valve on the bottom of the tank. It lost 10 lbs pressure in just a few minutes and was completely empty the next morning. Its a little plastic knobbed ball valve from the looks of things, I don't know maybe I can replace it with a Home Depot ball valve that actually works.

My second regret is its LOUD. I was seeing decibel ratings of 70 to 80 for other Rolair compressors but could not find a rating for this particular model. My guess is because its freaking 95 decibels. That's as loud as a 5hp table saw or a 2hp cyclone dust collector at full tilt. The model I liked was the 20 gallon upright for $450 less but it was made in China, its only 80 decibels, I guess I should have gone that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolair makes one of the most reliable, bullet, small air pump on the market. When I had my shop servicing contractors equipment I never saw problems from the Rolair pumps. Just clean them up, change the oil, & put in new intake filters then send them back to job site. The Rolair / Honda combination compressor package would run 10 hours a day 5 days a week for ever, just change oil & filters as needed.

fixit

While Rolairs have a great reputation, if you want an extremely quiet, reliable contractor sized compressor the one to buy is from California Air Tools.

Scott

the Rolair compressors are good equipment-
it will be in service longer than 2 chinese compressors ,back to back.
the chinese unit may be a bit quieter, but it ain't gonna last longer

I came across something in my research that suggested California Air ahem 'borrowed' the quiet design from Rolair. I'd have one sitting in my shop today except there are ample complaints about both California Air and Rolair made in China compressors, the quality is spotty, you either get a good one or you get a junker which seems to be the MO for China these days.

First I'll have to see how often this Rolair cycles on/off when using the Accu-Lube system, second I could always build a sound proofing enclosure for the thing.

If it was mine I would change out the valve on the drain for a good ball valve. As for the noise put the compressor in the garage or some where it doesn't bother you. These things make noise.

A good manual drain valve is the type used on big trucks with air brakes:
http://www.amazon.com/Tramec-35002-...4849573&sr=8-1&keywords=air+brake+drain+valve
Pulling the cable in any direction lets the valve vent. Does not need to be pulled hard. You can anchor the end of the cable up high where it is easy to reach, and then just grab the cable anywhere and pull in any direction. Helps to keep us off our hands and knees...

There are also heavy truck automatic drain valves:
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/auairdrva28d.html Good price!
They work well and are rugged and reliable, also rebuildable. 12v heated versions are also available.

I swapped out the defective factory ball valve with a brass ball valve from the local Wilco and all is well. Rolair apologized and offered to send me a new valve but I didn't have time to wait on it. They are sending me some free oil and a filter for the first service.

I swapped out the defective factory ball valve with a brass ball valve from the local Wilco and all is well. Rolair apologized and offered to send me a new valve but I didn't have time to wait on it. They are sending me some free oil and a filter for the first service.

That is good customer service:encourage:

Back