Restoration Of My Weiler Lz 280s (imageheavy)

Hey again, and sorry for the late update. But you know how it is, stuff gets in the way and you get sidetracked.
Nonetheless, im back on track and have made some progress.

Yes, the workshop is underground, but instead of bats there's rats.. :miner:
1.2 meter thick stonewalls and apart from the gate/entrance it's all like a bunker. Makes it really efficient to heat up during the wintertime and keeps it rather cool aswell summertime.
But i have some issues with moisture and water i have to solve.

I belive the red paint is Hammerite, but it had some nice properties to it like you decribed, and i think you are right on your theory. The epoxy is chosen with the same thought in mind.

Here's where im at as of now though:

I removed the spindle to first of all prepare it for a new seal for the oilbath, and to be able to mount two new v-belts that i have ordered. It was kinda tedious but i made it.
I also used alot of time masking with tape and using electric wire butts to seal off small screw holes and rivetholes where the machineplates where. And all that after i removed the old paint ofcourse.

The final step before mixing the epoxy and hardner where washing down the parts to be painted with brakecleaner. The last images is the first coat of epoxy, im doing 3 coats i think.
And also not in a picture is the finished painted bed i did a while ago.

IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg
IMG_0219.jpg
IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg
IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0246.jpg
IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0253.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg

Some more images.The order is somewhat shuffled, for that i apologize.

IMG_2869.jpg
IMG_2871.jpg
IMG_2880.jpg
IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_2893.jpg

Looking good you'll have it up and making chips soon. I'll be looking for the next installment.

Paul

Small update:
Assembled as much as i bothered since im waiting for some parts. But this is what it looks like as of now. I will wait til after summer to paint the underbody simply cause i want to start using it :)

I also gave the upper cast iron cover a go with chemical metal, but the brand i used was utter crap so i cleaned it all off. As i grew impatient, i tried to weld it with MIG (all though i know thats not the best way to go about it) with more than enough success.
I tacked it up first and then ground a deep groove a little over halfway into the casting, wirewheeled it and cleaned with acetone and after some trial and error with the settings i got pretty decent results with minimal porosity. And where i was unlucky i ground down again and filled up.

I ran out of Co2 (of course) so thats all i got done, but i made sure to let it cool slowly under some blankets and when im done i will heat it all up and let cool in sand as to remove stress and tension. But as far as durability it will be more than enough.

IMG_0298.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0314.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg

So i got the parts i waited for and reassembled the remaining for a test run. And it seems i might have a problem with the variator.
A nerve-wreckening grinding noise !

IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0360.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg

And here i'm trying to show the variator, but it's kinda awkward to get a camera in there:

IMG_0355.jpg
IMG_0356.jpg

I have tried to adjust the belts both ways to see if that eliminated the grinding, but neither tightening nor slackening gave any other result. The manual gave no insight so im at a standstill sadly.

And here is a video of the problem:

[video=youtube_share;c22t-zLUgJs]http://youtu.be/c22t-zLUgJs[/video]

Replace the variable pitch belt. The edges don't look too good causing some of the noise.

While you have it tore down replace the bearings in the yoke. That should eliminate most of the noise problems.

Ken

The belt seemed fine, it gave off a mild rubbery sound and the microphone misrepresent what it actually sounds like.

But after much searching i think i know whats going on:

"the drive transmitted to the spindle though a sliding internal tooth clutch"
img7.gif

I did cauth a glimse behind the collet where a spring sits, a brass gear when i fiddled with the camera. I will hopefully get time to look at it tomorrow and get an idea whats happening.

img7.gif

Very nice work. Looks like a nice machine.

Ray

Nice to see someone restore a lathe we don't see in the states much. Nice work. And yes, when restoring any old machines a wire wheel is your best friend.

I'm having a hard time understanding the purpose of the variator. The flat belt is driving the V-belts through what appears to be a splined shaft with a spring clutch of some sort. I don't get it.

When I first heard the sound, I wondered if there are bearings in the housing that holds the shaft and if they're worn-out. Also, what prevents the metal pulley of the v-belts from rubbing against the housing?

Nice looking lathe though and I hope you solve the problem.

Ray

Back