Request For An HSS Lathe Cutter Primer for Boring Bars

Hi Mikey,

Here's where I got the idea from originally:

Specifically from about 9:30

Adam focuses on chip control, but what I liked is the material removal capabilities of this bit.

Understood, Duke. It is always impressive to see them make monster cuts on those huge lathes. I don't happen to have one of them so my tools differ. I happen to think that back rake on a turning tool has great value, especially on a lighter lathe, but that is my opinion. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Hi Mikey,

What rake angles do you use? I presume you use different angles for different materials.

Thank you very much for the link and those pdf files! I missed the reference earlier in this post.

The supplier where I got my grinding vise has a nice selection of hss toolbits at pretty good prices. As soon as I have a chance I am going to get some bits and start grinding.

In my case I ground a couple of bits early on that works ok and after that I never really bothered experimenting further...

Maybe do some reading and grinding and we can carry on a discussion if you have questions. I don't think there is a wrong way to grind a tool, provided you know what you're grinding and why you're grinding it that way.

I meant to tell you that as impressive as it is to watch those big lathes take huge cuts, what impresses me more is when a tool can take a very light and accurate cut on the order of a few tenths to a thou. For me anyway, I'm not trying to remove huge amounts of metal or do a thousand parts. I am trying to make an accurate part that is the exact size I want. To do that, I need the tool to do what I want it to do so I have to know how to grind it so that it can.

Maybe do some reading and grinding and we can carry on a discussion if you have questions. I don't think there is a wrong way to grind a tool, provided you know what you're grinding and why you're grinding it that way.

what impresses me more is when a tool can take a very light and accurate cut on the order of a few tenths to a thou.

Shear tool?

Shear tool?

Still haven't had time to grind and optimize a shear tool yet, but I haven't forgotten. Thing with a shear tool is that it is supposed to finish well but is limited to very light cuts. I want a tool that will do roughing and finishing cuts, then finish as well as a shear tool while bringing me in exactly on size. Tall order.

Still haven't had time to grind and optimize a shear tool yet, but I haven't forgotten. Thing with a shear tool is that it is supposed to finish well but is limited to very light cuts. I want a tool that will do roughing and finishing cuts, then finish as well as a shear tool while bringing me in exactly on size. Tall order.

I think you need to start with a unicorn horn blank. :)

If anyone can make it happen, it's you man. Then I'll grind myself up a few copies.

If I can just find the time to dedicate to experimenting with that Unicorn Horn, I can make it happen. So much going on in my life right now. I have NOT forgotten, though.

Back