Repurpose Water Softener Resin Tank?

Had to replace our water softener recently and I cut the old one apart to be able to dispose of it more easily. But I kept the heavy fiberglass resin tank (maybe 9"x40") because it seemed like a cool piece that I could use for something else (isn't that how we all accumulate the junk we have?).

But I can't come up with any ideas and since I see so many super clever ideas that people come up with I thought I'd throw it out to the group.

What could I do with this?

View attachment 351911

How about hooking it up to a vacuum pump and to one of those miniature pressure (read vacuum) controllers from SMC and just make a nice adjustable vacuum press?

Good for e.g. woodworking or composites work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most domestic water supplies give about 40psi at the tap. Use that as a guideline for acceptable pressure in whatever use you find for the tank.

@DLF That's a great idea. Unfortunately I don't have a need for that sort of thing but maybe that works for some of the others here with tanks.

I keep forgetting to go out and measure the wall thickness but I think I found the tank online and specs show a minimum burst pressure of 600 PSI with a working max pressure of 150 PSI. I don't think I'd be comfortable doing something anywhere close to that but that's pretty amazing.

I inherited a tank similar I made a fertigation tank for my lawn sprinkler system

Hope you're happy, @aliva, you made me look up fertigation tank. ;-) Never heard of one but it does seem like something that would be more common.

Had to replace our water softener recently and I cut the old one apart to be able to dispose of it more easily. But I kept the heavy fiberglass resin tank (maybe 9"x40") because it seemed like a cool piece that I could use for something else (isn't that how we all accumulate the junk we have?).

But I can't come up with any ideas and since I see so many super clever ideas that people come up with I thought I'd throw it out to the group.

What could I do with this?

View attachment 351911
I'll be keeping an eye on this for some inspiration, since I have quite a number of them, but they're all larger. Due to an MTBE leak from a nearby gas station, each house had three very big tanks added years ago. I assume they were all packed with charcoal and had been unhooked for years.

Let's hear some more suggestions. The only thing that sprang to me was its initial purpose as a
water filter.

Last edited:
How about the hull of a robotic underwater rover. Add a camera and some thrusters from Ali express etc.
Robert

evidently I am not the only old buzzard that collects everything that surely can be used for a good neat ingenious invention. who knew that so many of us have saved these for reuse. keep your ideas coming so we all use up some of our collected supplies. My thoughts were to split it length wise and make bird baths for my wifes' garden. always good to keep our better halves happy and amazed how we come up with such practical gifts. if you don't have a wife then I'm sure a neighbor would be accepting and they may not complain so much about your outside storage. when we finish our projects please include pictures of them, I'm counting on you.
Dave

Last edited:
I have several, small to extra large. May try to use one for a pre-filter/settling tank for the water tray on the cnc plasma rig. Mike

Back