Repurpose Water Softener Resin Tank?

tonydi

Registered
Registered
Had to replace our water softener recently and I cut the old one apart to be able to dispose of it more easily. But I kept the heavy fiberglass resin tank (maybe 9"x40") because it seemed like a cool piece that I could use for something else (isn't that how we all accumulate the junk we have?).

But I can't come up with any ideas and since I see so many super clever ideas that people come up with I thought I'd throw it out to the group.

What could I do with this?

resin tank.jpg

I have one of those sitting in a trailer, waiting on a good idea. The bomb sounds like a candidate.

Watching this for some ideas as I have quite a few of these but larger . Each house had 3 very large tanks installed years back due to an MTBE leak from a local gas station . All were filled with charcoal I believe , and have been unhooked for years .

Let's hear some more ideas . The only thing I could come up with would be its' original use as a water filter . :dunno:

I thought of a light weight air tank to mount on my truck, but would not trust it above 100 PSI. :beer bottles:

@Flyinfool LMAO!! Why do I have this suspicion that my wife isn't going to like that idea.

I'll try to remember to measure the walls tomorrow.

How about an old dishwasher ? Could anything be used on one ? It was working fine but we had to have a stainless one . :grin: After throwing away a dozen or so microwaves and reading what people make out of the pieces , I just thought I would ask .

Dishwashers are great for cleaning parts. Used mine for everything from black powder revolvers to carburators and engine valve covers.

Had to replace our water softener recently and I cut the old one apart to be able to dispose of it more easily. But I kept the heavy fiberglass resin tank (maybe 9"x40") because it seemed like a cool piece that I could use for something else (isn't that how we all accumulate the junk we have?).

But I can't come up with any ideas and since I see so many super clever ideas that people come up with I thought I'd throw it out to the group.

What could I do with this?

I laughed when I saw your post! I have TWO of those tanks that I have INTENTIONS to use. My plans are to make a two stage sand and charcoal filter setup for collected rainwater. I figured I would use some layers of pea gravel, activated charcoal, and sand. It's been awhile since I did the pondering and I don't even remember the configuring of the layers I was planning. I'll have to do the research all over again.

The tanks were free. I emptied the resin out of them and bought some tank top connectors, but just haven't got around to finishing the project.

Back