Repurpose old rotary table as welding positioner.

Interested in how that motor works out, I’ve been eyeballing that setup for a project.

I posted this a while ago

Interested in how that motor works out, I’ve been eyeballing that setup for a project.

Got the motor and hooked it up. Runs quietly and smoothly. I'm working on a mounting bracket for it now.

Attachments

• positioner project.JPG
    positioner project.JPG
    366.1 KB · Views: 15
Finished up the rotary positioner today. With the timing pulley arrangement as shown, top of the table has a speed range of zero to 1.5 rpm. An almost infinite combination of pulley sizes are available to adjust the speed range. Of course, the optimal table rpm varies with the diameter of the piece being welded.

Attachments

• IMG_4339.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4340.JPG
    IMG_4340.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 21
Status report on positioner project:

The motor shown above ran fine, but had to have a wiring change to run in reverse. Also, the capacitor didn't like it when you turned it on at a pre-set speed, ruling out the use of a foot pedal.

I went with a variable speed DC motor from Motormakers. It had a slightly slower top speed, but I was able to make up for it with a different timing pulley ratio. I used an 8 amp Radio Shack power supply and a speed control i picked up from Amazon. The setup works fine with my foot pedal.

The ground is connected to a spring loaded brass rod (brush) that rides against the edge of the table on the work side of the bearings. The bracket that holds the rod is insulated from the rest of the unit via nylon bolts, with nylon washers between the bracket and the plate below it. Ground cable is either bolted to the vertical flat part of the bracket or clamped to it.

The brass rod, spring, etc. can be accessed from the rear without having to remove the bracket.

My first attempt with the positioner is pictured below. Travel speed was probably a bit low. I'll have to play around with it to get the feel of it.

Attachments

• brass rod.jpg
    brass rod.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 90 degrees 1mb.jpg
    90 degrees 1mb.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 45_degrees 1_3mb.jpg
    45_degrees 1_3mb.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 0 degrees.jpg
    0 degrees.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • controls.jpg
    controls.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 24
  • 1st attempt.jpg
    1st attempt.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 28
Good job! That looks really nice and darn handy to have on top of that.

Looks great! One useful addition would be a foot controlled potentiometer for hands free speed control.

What type of production are you doing with the torch holder? Obviously it will take some tweaking to get the bacon sizzling right, so it seems production-oriented. Looks much more like a rotary positioning table now, with the multi-angle setup.

Now I have one more important question to ask the seller when shopping for rotary tables...

I would not dismiss the need to protect your bearings. Electric arc does crazy stuff to bearings, none of which is as good as the original mirror finish:

z1.png
skf-flutingdamage2.jpg

Back