• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Replacing my boats wood transom with honeycomb aluminum panel

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Syaminab

Active User
I plan to substitute my wood transom with honeycomb aluminum panel, anyone knows if it is commercially available in america? I ve only seen it in europes aerospace industry. I know honylite makes it in India. Any US source would be verymuch appreciated.
regards.

cdhknives

Active User
If it is a fiberglass boat, you might also consider the honeycomb panels of fiberglass. That is a very popular repair in my area to replace rotted marine plywood.

The Liberal Arts Garage

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Used to do marine work-don't mix wood and metal, especially aluminum, unless you have a really important reason , and are willing to get into a lot of fiddle. BLJHB

The Liberal Arts Garage

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
The aluminum will corrode and so will the wood attached to it. This may not matter in short-lived racing boats,etc., but for general use , you must bed it Fibreglas and epoxy. Will work just fine as part ofFibreglas boat. BLJHB

[6]
5 [7]