Replacing my boats wood transom with honeycomb aluminum panel

Syaminab

Active User
Registered
I plan to substitute my wood transom with honeycomb aluminum panel, anyone knows if it is commercially available in america? I ve only seen it in europes aerospace industry. I know honylite makes it in India. Any US source would be verymuch appreciated.
regards.

If it is a fiberglass boat, you might also consider the honeycomb panels of fiberglass. That is a very popular repair in my area to replace rotted marine plywood.

Used to do marine work-don't mix wood and metal, especially aluminum, unless you have a really important reason , and are willing to get into a lot of fiddle. BLJHB

Used to do marine work-don't mix wood and metal, especially aluminum, unless you have a really important reason , and are willing to get into a lot of fiddle. BLJHB

For those of use that haven't done marine work, what's the reason for not mixing them?

The aluminum will corrode and so will the wood attached to it. This may not matter in short-lived racing boats,etc., but for general use , you must bed it Fibreglas and epoxy. Will work just fine as part ofFibreglas boat. BLJHB

Back