Replacing G0709 spindle bearings

When you had the bearings adjusted did you Try pushing and pulling the spindle to try and induce endplay? Did you try taking a bar and applying force to the bottom side of spindle with a indicator on top of spindle to see if theirs any deflection?

Yes to both, with a tenths DTI to measure.

Sorry to hear that the KLF-ZVL bearings aren't better than what Grizzly sent me. ☹

That's slick!

Thanks!

I made a separate thread with drawing and pictures for the ER40 collet adapter. It's not perfect (low clamping range) but where it works, being self-indicating will be a lot faster than the spider.

A couple other places you can try that might have better prices than Motion is BDI and Eastern Industrial https://www.easternia.com/137066/category/bearings
Bdiexpress.com

Eastern Industrial doesn't list any precision 30212 or 30210 bearings online, anyway. I could call them.

What is "Class C"? I know only of numeric grades, whether P, Class, or ABEC...

Edit: Ah, metric precision classes; the lowest-grade metric precision bearing.

1653940565931.png

Here are the FAG bearings with no price listed (I guess if you have to ask...)

Last edited:
Yeah, class C is similar to P6 or ABEC 3. Not sure if it is exactly the same as those, but relatively close if not. Timken is the only company I know of that uses the letter classes, all the European companies use ISO ratings. The good thing about these being metric bearings is it opens you up to all the manufacturers, if they were inch, like on my Burke Millrite, you are pretty much stuck with what Timken has on hand.

Precision tapers are not that common, so you might need to do a bit of searching. Authorized distributors have access to the inventory at the shared warehouse in Crossville TN, so if they do not have it in their system, they will be able to see what is available from all the major manufacturers. If they say they don’t have any, ask if that shows stock in Crossville just in case you get a lazy sales guy. I’m a bit partial to FAG since I am most familiar with them, but I would not hesitate to use SKF, NSK, or Timken.

As I mentioned in Cadillac’s thread, I would stay away from Ebay, you don’t really know where they came from. They may be legit, but they could be counterfeit. The risk of counterfeits is you are not getting a bearing that meets the specs you expect, and you will have no recourse with the manufacturer since you didn’t buy through an authorized distributor.

The lack of prices could simply be they don’t have that in stock and they don’t know what the current price is. I would expect about $300-400 each for those in P5. All of the bearing manufacturers usually are pretty close in price, so unless it has a special feature the others don’t have, will probably be about that same price.

Good luck with your search, and hopefully you will have a fully operational lathe soon.

Back