Replace compond with block would you ?

XPFTP

Registered
Registered
iam looking at the carriage last nite as i had to pull the saddle and clean and reshim it. 4 hours later haha
but iam thinkin.. why not take the compond off and replace with a block of alloy or steel . cut to height as needed.
i wont be using the compond at all anytime soon. if i do just pull out the block and put the compond on ..

what say you ?

and ahead of time.... i say SORRY hahahha ... bein a newbie and brain never sleeps. so probley more dumb post to follow. lol
i know utubers . mr pete . abom . so on .. but sometimes there isnt a video for the stuff my gray mater comes up with haha

Were I in need of a solid tool support, with out the need to change the angle of the tool, (and I still had a lathe) I'd certainly look into a block set up.

I put a solid plinth on my lathe, I don’t miss the compound at all and probably used it only a couple times in the past year. The nice part of that is I can store my tool offsets in the DRO and they are always the same. I use mostly insert tooling and if I need a common angle, I’ll just add a tool that can do that instead of putting the compound back on.

Make a search for David Best solid plinth, did a great job with his and has instructions on how to make it. I took the simple way and made mine to fit the recess for the compound and the securing bolts, but it doesn’t have as much Z reach as David’s design.

sounds good to me. ill check into david best.

thank you for info. glad it will work and be stable. i figure it takes a lot of the abuse off the compond also and any movment spots that can be taken out of the chain iam sure helps.

iam looking at the carriage last nite as i had to pull the saddle and clean and reshim it. 4 hours later haha
but iam thinkin.. why not take the compond off and replace with a block of alloy or steel . cut to height as needed.
i wont be using the compond at all anytime soon. if i do just pull out the block and put the compond on ..

what say you ?

I've done that. If you want to search for twenty three thousand different takes on it, try "plinth", or "solid tool post mount" in your search querries.
Mine does well for a couple of things. Then it just lives on the lathe kinda indefinitely until I have cause to put the compound back on. (It's EASY on my lathe, so it's not a hard decision to make). When the compound is on the lathe, I use that, and it just lives on the lathe, kinda indefinitely until I have cause to put the plinth back on.
It's not going to blow your mind, or make you think you got a new lathe, or anything like that. But it does support the tool somewhat tangibly better, and takes away one degree of freedom, which reduces the chance for errors counting dials or reading DRO's. The compound rest though, well.... It's the compound rest. If you take it off, you won't have it....

So many of the most well known YouTube contributors have posted projects on exactly what they did to replace the compound with a (very), solid tool post mount, and they well describe the huge improvement, while keeping the option of easily remounting the compound for the times you really need it. They also have seen each other's designs, and they explain their own variations.
It kinda started with Robin Renzetti (ROBRENZ), at least, that was the first one I saw.

In all these, you may need to find your own way for the other content in multi-part videos.
You will have no problem finding a whole lot of these. Go ahead and binge-watch them. You will find it helps a lot in getting a plan together for your own project, as it will be.

Here is another from Kent Vandervalden

We cannot leave out Stefan Gotteswinter

Others who I think have done this are..
Clough42
Rustinox
Cylo's Garage (indexable version)
NBR Works
Machining with Joe
... and more!

sounds good to me. ill check into david best.

thank you for info. glad it will work and be stable. i figure it takes a lot of the abuse off the compond also and any movment spots that can be taken out of the chain iam sure helps.
Check out my posts here - includes drawings for a version that fits 1340 & 1440 lathes.

what say you ?

and ahead of time.... i say SORRY hahahha ... bein a newbie and brain never sleeps. so probley more dumb post to follow. lol
i know utubers . mr pete . abom . so on .. but sometimes there isnt a video for the stuff my gray mater comes up with haha
I would be lost without my compound, I constantly use it in my setups to get everything lined up and face large pieces.

what say you ?

I did on lathe that purchase without a compound.
Work great.

Dave

Back