Repair or parts for Grizzly A1S-A

Ironhead900

Registered
Registered
Hello. New member here… Does anyone here know where I can find replacement parts for a G1008/A1S-A mill? I broke the knee casting where the saddle rides the ways while transporting and Grizzly offers no replacement parts for what I need. Any help would be awesome. Thanks! Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum.IMG_0789.jpegIMG_0792.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    489.1 KB · Views: 12
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for your misfortune.

You’re probably at the point of parting out that machine unless you can find a donor to source the casting from.

Even if you do find the part it may take quite a bit of fitting to get it correct.

As for a repair it would take quite a bit of heat to braze something that big. There are companies that repair iron castings with a pinning system, you might look into that.

John

Hello and welcome.

Sorry for your misfortune.

You’re probably at the point of parting out that machine unless you can find a donor to source the casting from.

Even if you do find the part it may take quite a bit of fitting to get it correct.

As for a repair it would take quite a bit of heat to braze something that big. There are companies that repair iron castings with a pinning system, you might look into that.

John
Here’s one company that does the process with a pretty good explanation on their website. Looks expensive though….

John

I would find an another mill. The work and time needed to repair it will far exceed its value. Sorry about the mill. Good luck on finding a replacement.

Oh boy, this is the worst news :/ I would be willing to scrap this, but it was my fathers (since passed) and he bought it new in the 90’s. I messed it up moving it to my shop from his, so this is the source of my distress. I was thinking of finding a donor knee, but I don’t see any of these mill parts anywhere in the aftermarket world. You all agree it’s toast, but I might fly cut the rest of the broken guides on another mill, and attach a bearing rail system for the lead screw to drive in play of the ways. I know this is going to lead to a lot of fab work, but I don’t want to trash this for aforementioned reasons. Any thoughts on this? The rest of the mill is perfect aside from a broken handle in the saddle.

I appreciate all the replies.

If you have access to another mill, machine off the damaged area. Buy some cast iron or find some donor cast iron and fabricate a implant to be flycut to dimension after pinning and bolting to the parent piece. Use the remaining ways for reference.

If you have access to another mill, machine off the damaged area. Buy some cast iron or find some donor cast iron and fabricate a implant to be flycut to dimension after pinning and bolting to the parent piece. Use the remaining ways for reference.
This is kind of where I’m heading after all the opinions here. I’ll give it a few more weeks of searching for a donor.

I’m wondering if this will work?:

If the head is okay you might look for a horizontal mill to graft it onto. Sometimes you can get deals on older horizontals and it’s possible you’ll end up with a better machine than you had before.

I previously owned a lathe that had been dropped and the work I put into it didn’t pay off other than the experience.

Repair of that casting is probably a bridge too far, I have a few machines from my late father and understand the connection. If you had come here to ask about moving you would have gotten good advice but that doesn’t help now I know.

Check out horizontal mills with vertical heads and I think you’ll find a path forward.

John

Back