Removing Spindle Gear on Clausing 4800

Big circular feature plus big hex are cast iron dust cover that can be unscrewed and slid over the gear. Actual preloading nut is inside. I do not remember exactly how did I pull out the gear but it wasn't easy. I tried to fab some wedges but given the width of metal I had on hands it did not work - but it would if one has like 3.5 in 1/8 in thick steel bar. I think that banging on the back end (with some wood or using plastic mallet) did work at the end.
I do have pics of disassembled spindle (mine is Clausing 100 mk3) but not on this computer right now.

That spindle looks a lot like a South Bend. Probably pretty much the same design. I'd remove the nut....get a piece of pipe for a sleeve....And use some all thread to press it off. Mark the position of the bearing if its a roller bearing.

I'm reading it to say tap the gear with a block until there's clearance to get a puller on it. That angle isn't great for directing force axially. Perhaps a Jacobs wedge set or just some wood shims in opposition

If you think the spindle is bent ,have you put a dial gauge on it in various places and rotated?.....If you think the bearings are loose,then a dial gauge on the chuck mount will show movement by using a bar through the spindle bore .....The large nut seems a simple removal for a truck hub bearing nut spanner............Ive made lots of truck hub nut spanners with no more than an oxy torch and a welder.

@guero_gordo,​

You don't tap on the gear itself. You drive the shaft through the gear.

Yes, I realize that. But going back and looking at the blowup of the photo of the left end of the spindle from the beginning of this thread, it would be impossible to literally do what the factory instructions say and achieve anything. However, looking at the blowup also reveals that the large hex nut has to be turned several threads CCW (hopefully at least the threads are RH) before you can drive the spindle much through the gear. And the large nut has to be completely removed from the spindle before the spindle can be removed from the headstock.

It is not possible from the photo to tell how much of a gap there is between the nut and the gear. But it might be possible to move the gear enough to allow the insertion of a pair of wedges similar to the Jacobs arbor removal ones but you will probably have to make them as I don't know of any made that are large enough.

So as I wrote earlier, assuming that you are not going to make the large wedges, add that before beating on the left end of the spindle with the hammer hitting a hardwood block, you must unscrew the large hex nut until it at least contacts the face of the gear, and as you drift the spindle through the gear, continue to unscrew the hex nut. And don't forget before you start, to loosen any set screws elsewhere in components so locked to the spindle (if there looks like there is one in the cone pulley, there isn't - that will be an oil hole plug). And take care of the Woodruff key that keeps the bull gear from turning on the spindle.

Actually, were I doing it, I would use a piece of All-Thread to make a custom puller, as swinging a hammer is too tiresome at my age. I would also cheat and use the hollow piston cylinder from the hydraulic Green Lee knock-out punch set that I have had since before most of you were born. But the All-Thread and nuts alone will work OK.

Probably long since fixed, but it occurs to me now that sum'n like this might work, homegrown or otherwise. "bearing splitter" new one on me

Here….check out this link. All you need is some all-thread rod and some spacers. This is a South bend but the theory works for anything like a spindle which has a center hole.
around the 9:00 mark is where he’s getting to the actual point.

Last edited:
Here….check out this link. All you need is some all-thread rod and some spacers. This is a South bend but the theory works for anything like a spindle which has a center hole.
around the 9:00 mark is where he’s getting to the actual point.

This won't work for mine because the bearing preload nut doesn't fit over the gear. So I can't get it fully loosened.

Back