Removing Spindle Gear on Clausing 4800

mikeyjones

Registered
Registered
Hey guys -

I need the braintrust here to help me out. I've been fighting terrible wobble on my chucks so I'm disassembling the spindle to likely replace the bearings and see if my spindle itself is still true. (This lathe was slightly manhandled while moving so want to check for issues).

I was able to remove the gear box and quadrant.

I'm stuck on the spindle gear. Manual says to hit a block of wood w/ a hammer to move it a bit and then get a gear puller on it. Well I've done nothing but create splinters by trying that.

Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Do you suspect a bent spindle? Have you taken any measurements? "Terrible wobble" could be caused by several things. Is this a long-standing problem or something that developed suddenly? The more info you can provide the better.
Is it the leftmost spindle gear you are trying to remove? Usually there is a nut or threaded ring to remove first. Pix would help.
-Mark

Do you suspect a bent spindle? Have you taken any measurements? "Terrible wobble" could be caused by several things. Is this a long-standing problem or something that developed suddenly? The more info you can provide the better.
Is it the leftmost spindle gear you are trying to remove? Usually there is a nut or threaded ring to remove first. Pix would help.
-Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark. I do suspect a bent spindle or bad bearings, so wanted to give the machine some TLC and replace 60+ yr old parts that have been caked in grease.

It is the left most gear that sits outside the cast iron housing. I don't see a nut or threaded ring on this machine and the instructions say to hit with with a block of wood - however unclear that might be. Uploading a picture - it's the topmost gear in this picture.

There's not enough room between the gear and the preload collar of the left bearing to get a gear puller on it.

Attachments

• 21-03-30 19-53-05 1819.jpg
    21-03-30 19-53-05 1819.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
I can't tell from the picture- are there threads on the spindle just to the left of the gear? As if there was a nut there at one time? I don't see how the gear would stay put if there was no method of retaining it. Most lathes have some kind of threaded collar. If the gear is a tight press fit it will be a bear to get off without damage. I have to admit I'm not real familiar with this series. I see a large nut on the inboard side of the gear which must be for setting the bearing preload. Possibly by loosening that it would push against the gear and help remove it.
In any case, if it's been on there for a long time you may have to apply some heat to help persuade it, along with some penetrating solvent
Also I would clean the area well so you can get a good look at it. There may be some kind of retaining tab that's buried under the grease

Last edited:
I can't tell from the picture- are there threads on the spindle just to the left of the gear? As if there was a nut there at one time? I don't see how the gear would stay put if there was no method of retaining it. Most lathes have some kind of threaded collar.
In any case, if it's been on there for a long time you may have to apply some heat to help persuade it, along with some penetrating solvent
No threads, and there's a woodruff key holding the gear in position. But it's a press fit, nothing beyond what you see there.

Even the manual just mentions hitting it with a block of wood - I've tried and only have succeeded in creating splinters.

I would review the entire spindle removal procedure. Unless I'm mistaken, I think the factory means to apply the wood block to the spindle not the gear.
I believe the spindle would come out towards the tailstock and so the bearing preload nut on the inboard side of the gear would need to be loosened and then by tapping the left hand end of the spindle with a wood block the gear would be pushed off as the spindle comes out. Of course the bull gear and pulley would need to be undone and slid off at the same time, any setscrews loosened, etc.
Probably it would be preferable to make up a puller using a length of threaded rod and some nuts and washers, rather than hammering. This is the best technique to remove Atlas or any spindle with roller bearings and is easier on the bearings if you intend to reuse them
I would check to see if those bearings are even still available before taking anything apart- I seem to remember some of the early Clausings bearings are NLA, although there may be subs

Last edited:
I would review the entire spindle removal procedure. Unless I'm mistaken, I think the factory means to apply the wood block to the spindle not the gear.
I believe the spindle would come out towards the tailstock and so the bearing preload nut on the inboard side of the gear would need to be loosened and then by tapping the left hand end of the spindle with a wood block the gear would be pushed off as the spindle comes out. Of course the bull gear and pulley would need to be undone and slid off at the same time, any setscrews loosened, etc.
Probably it would be preferable to make up a puller using a length of threaded rod and some nuts and washers, rather than hammering. This is the best technique to remove Atlas or any spindle with roller bearings and is easier on the bearings if you intend to reuse them
I would check to see if those bearings are even still available before taking anything apart- I seem to remember some of the early Clausings bearings are NLA, although there may be subs
I’ll try that. I tried before and iirc the preload collar doesn’t have room to be fully loosened with the space available.

regarding bearing availability- I’ve found the cups in precision form. And I think I would be able to reuse some of the parts.

You might need to buy a very thin large open end wrench for that bearing preload nut- they are available. Looks like about a 1-1/2"
-M

You might need to buy a very thin large open end wrench for that bearing preload nut- they are available. Looks like about a 1-1/2"
-M
I think what you're referring to in the picture is actually the dust cover for the bearings. That opening slides right over the gear. And it's 2 1/8" FYI.

The bearing preload nut needs a spanner key to turn.

Ah OK. See I told you I was not an expert on those :)
So the hex I'm seeing in this picture is just a dust cover? I'm not sure I follow. What about that washer-like thingy between the hex and the gear?
Can the dust cover be removed first and then the gear? If the cover can be removed to gain more space I would try that, but give a good cleaning first.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-01_14:36:38.jpeg
    Screenshot_2021-04-01_14:36:38.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back