Removing heavy tarnish from brass

I've never tried it myself but there's the YT channel I watch called My Mechanics that does restoration on old tools. He uses vinegar, salt, & flour to make a paste. Coats the brass parts, wraps them in saran wrap, let them sit overnight, then wash off with water. Appears to work very well.

I will give it a try, thanks

Here's one example in one of his videos & shows the mixture amounts. Starts at 4:02 in case the video linked below doesn't start there. It removes all the tarnish without abrasive material removal which can then just be polished after if no further rework is needed. Results at 4:35 & says he let it sit for 7 days (and here I said overnight, lol). He starts polishing at 8:10.

EDIT: Here's another one, starts at 1:24. This one says he it let it sit for 12 hrs.

Last edited:
Tomato sauce. Get loads on it, cover it all over. Then wrap it round with cling film or tin foil. leave it for a couple of days. wash it off, dry well, the polish with a brass cleaning wadding.

First mistake, too much vinegar and not enough salt.
I was going to unwrap today but I will leave for some more and see what happens.

Now I'm getting hungry :D

Brasso and NevrDull work fine for polish. Not so good for a few years of tarnish. A wire wheel will be harder than the brass most times. It won't be fit for polishing after any (steel) wire brush. A chemical cleaner or home made cleaner (tomato paste, etc) should be the choice for removing the crud. Then Brasso or NevrDull to get a fine polish. Be prepared for lots of dirty hands and cloths, The residue from just a belt buckle will not wash off so easy and will ruin clothes. Something larger will be a handful. I used NevrDull on my uniform brass back when.(50 yrs) It will leave a finish so bright it hurts your eyes. Getting the crud off is the important part. Something that won't scar the brass is the big issue.

No wonder why my tummy always hurts ...........................too many salt and vinegar tater chips :drool:

Hmmmm ... maybe grind up stale potato chips to make the de-tarnishing "poultice" :)

Back