Removing heavy tarnish from brass

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have two brass toasting forks that used to hang either side of the fire at my grandfathers house.
We used these to toast bread and crumpets on the coal fire in the main living room for tea.
Theyve been stored for over 40 years in the shed so are crusted in thick blue corrosion and tarnish.
What is the best method to remove this heavy encrustation as I would like to restore and polish them to how I remember they were.

I've never tried it myself but there's the YT channel I watch called My Mechanics that does restoration on old tools. He uses vinegar, salt, & flour to make a paste. Coats the brass parts, wraps them in saran wrap, let them sit overnight, then wash off with water. Appears to work very well.

After finding a set of andirons out in the woods in a dump, a knife was used to scrape off the black to reveal that they were
brass. After that it was a wire wheel and then brass cleaner(Brasso). I still have them proudly. Who would throw
away solid brass andirons?

To my mind a wire wheel is way to harsh for decorative brass. Vinegar concoction first to get down to the brass then brass polish.

Back