Remington 788 build

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I traded for a fairly nice Remington in 22-250. My plan was to rebarrel it in 243Win as another learning project, why ruin a new receiver if it fails, but now I find out they have 3 action lengths on the 788, short short (44 Mag length), medium short (223 and 22-250) and long short (243/308).

Is it merely a issue of new bottom metal and milling the ejection port to convert the 22-250 action to handle 243Win? The receiver length appears to be the same for both 'lengths'.

The magazine box is different, and the lower plate also... the stock may have to be modified.

The .243 is the most common 788... the 22-250 is not common... you might find someone with a .243 that would be willing to trade.

-Bear

Same bolt face, same action for both calibers, just re-barrel and use the right length mag box (purchased or fabricated).

I built/own/shoot seven different Remington 700 bolt guns, all in .308 bolt face because I like .308, .243, and .22-250, and similar medium cartridges based on US parent brass. Even if the bolt face needs to be bushed, silver soldered, and re-cut, the medium action will accommodate the whole range of medium cartridges. Even longer stuff can feed with a small feed ramp profile change, you can gain a solid 1/4" on COL if needed without going up to the large receiver.

It looks to me like the medium-short 788 should work, even though I'm not familiar with the differences in that variant to the 700.

What do you mean about ruining a receiver if something fails? Is the ejection port even a problem between 22-250 and 243? It shouldn't be.

maxresdefault.jpg

I need to measure tonight, but the 22-250 is around 0.4" shorter than a 308Win and from my 'lunch hour research' today both the mag box and the ejection port are shortened accordingly. Numrich even lists a different part number for the 22-250 bolt vs the 243/308 bolt, so hopefully there is not a bolt length problem. I suspect the bottom cut for the mag box is also correspondingly shortened. When I agreed to trade for it, all I read was 'compatible with Rem700 stocks' and didn't dig further. I now see it is a very different receiver than the Rem700.

Oh well, worst case I get to try a 22-250 Improved. That has been on the bucket list for a while, just waaaaaay down the list!

Oh well, worst case I get to try a 22-250 Improved. That has been on the bucket list for a while, just waaaaaay down the list!
Hey if you don't mind a wildcat, blow out the 22-250 case to .243? You could have a nice .243-250.

Ohh man, my apologies. Please pardon my ignorance, I didn't realize how different the 788 was constructed compared to other 700 series rifles. Completely different beast. I do not know the answer to your original question.

@epanzella, you ever created a wildcat? I've been thinking on it for years. It would have to start with getting a proper T&C ginder to do reamers on, which is on my radar. It's not an if, it's a when. I have a real fetish for 6mm calibers and the idea of reforming common brass. I also have desires for making a 20 caliber that's short-fat like the 6br out of shortened and necked .308 brass, but much much shorter than the .204 cartridge to make a powder mizer varminter.

I saw some 6-250 load data somewhere (found it, Hodgdon online) lately...I do have a PILE of 243 bullets that didn't work well in either of my 243's. I was planning a 6TCU for a Contender I just picked up. Sooooo many possibilities!

Yeah, the ejection port is just over 2.25" long and the mag well cut is not wnywhere near 2.8"+. Too much work to open up.

No worries Pontiac, part of the fun of being a hobbiest...we all get to learn new things! I just appreciate the help!

@epanzella, you ever created a wildcat? I've been thinking on it for years. It would have to start with getting a proper T&C ginder to do reamers on, which is on my radar. It's not an if, it's a when. I have a real fetish for 6mm calibers and the idea of reforming common brass. I also have desires for making a 20 caliber that's short-fat like the 6br out of shortened and necked .308 brass, but much much shorter than the .204 cartridge to make a powder mizer varminter.
No John, I've never created a wildcat with my own hands. I've only built SMLs so far. I did have a 30-06 improved (Ackley) done years ago by having a smith ream the chamber and sizing die for a sharper shoulder and minimum body taper. It was fun and it got me 100fps. I only suggested necking the 22-250 to 243 because the OP was suggesting a 22-250 improved. I think that would be a poor candidate for improving because it's already way over bore capacity. Milder cartridges like the 7x57 or 257 Roberts seem to really light up when improved. A 243-250 (made name up) would get him a good performing 243 with no bolthead, extractor or mag length problems. Being rimless, cases need to headspace hard on the shoulder so they can be fire formed. Just my $ .02

Last edited:
I have a late 1920s Savage 99 Takedown in 250-3000 and a Winchester 70 Featherweight barrel in 222 Remington that I kept after putting a heavy barrel on the the Winney. After a while I decided to fit up the Win barrel to the 99 and between the gunsmith and myself, we chambered it to the 22 REM BR. Naturally I had to change and modify the cartridge spool to fit and feed the BR case.
Maybe look at the 6 BR? Would make an interesting and likely fairly accurate rifle. Brass is available and just about any .308 bolt face brass can be used to make cases cheaply.

Back