Relocating my shop - advice wanted

Hopefully they don't mind holes in the framework of the pod.

I asked the delivery driver about fastenings. He told me it would be OK to add screw eyes to the internal 2x4 and 4x4 vertical frames. There were already some screw eyes in there. I didn't put any holes in the walls. The only holes I didn't get specific authorization for are the holes I made when I screwed the platforms to the floor of the box. Maybe they won't notice them :)

PS to Ken - The box will be picked up Tuesday (8/1). The PODS people told me that it would be dispatched to the Mesa, AZ warehouse on 8/2 and arrive about a week later. Don't know if the Mesa storage will be indoors or out, but I hope the box will miss the occasional "monsoon" rain storm. Dessicant packs are indeed a great idea nonetheless. Wish I'd had time to get some. Ah, well...

When I rented a Ryder truck in AR headed to cali I put holes in the wood side braces to build a second floor in the truck , wood dough worked good for the holes :cool:

I used Tow truck, flatbed to move my 3 ton lathe city to city and i was very impressed by his professionalism, the tow truck driver instructed the forklift operator what to do how to do it, how to load him, then he removed all loose doors and tie down the lathe with many chains and straps and wrap his winch cable around it, the person was on his game, a true pro, unloading it was much more difficult, my street it tight and steep, i hire and 3 tone forklift that did not have enough power to lift and move the lathe, after couple of tries the operators managed to lift the lathe little of the flat bed, the tow truck driver drove from under the lathe and attach his tow cable to the back of the forklift, half way in my driveway the forklift started tipping and if the tow cable wasn't there i would have an mess on my hands.

Very scary process! Glad to hear it turned out well.

OK, folks. It's not my machine or anything I built, but just for fun and giggles, here's a series of photos that show the "Podzilla" PODS loader in action. It's a separate self-powered unit that's carried on the truck to do one thing - unload and load the PODS units. I forgot to take pictures when my box was delivered, but decided to take a few today, when the box was picked up. Enjoy!

Back truck up to box
kHPIM5049.jpg
Start gas motor (hydraulic pump) on Podzilla
kHPIM5050.jpg
Raise the frame by extending the wheeled legs, widen the frame to clear, drive it "over" the box
kHPIM5052.jpg
Lower the frame by raising the legs, so the lift chains can be attached to the box
kHPIM5056.jpg
Attach chains, start to lift the box
kHPIM5058.jpg
Lift it high enough to allow the truck to back under it
kHPIM5060.jpg
Back the truck up underneath the box
kHPIM5062.jpg
Lower the box onto the truck, lift the wheels the rest of the way up
kHPIM5064.jpg
Release the box from Podzilla, tie it down to the truck bed
kHPIM5065.jpg
All tied down and ready to go!
kHPIM5066.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a great system , no need for a fork lift, all done with chains and a hydraulic pump.
Thanks for the pics.

Hi John,
The first picture looked a little tight with the trees, but I guess they drop it there the same way.
So if they're able to place it, they are able to load it. Neat system
Thanks for posting!
-brino

I do have quite a few trees around the house. It's hard to see in the photos, but the concrete apron in front of the garage (shop) is about 20 ft wide (2 car garage width) and approximately as long, with a nearly straight shot down the rest of the driveway.

PODS specifies 12 foot clearance all around the box for the landing zone. But even at its widest, the Podzilla was only about 10 feet total width (1 ½ feet or so to either side of the 7 foot wide box). Maybe a bit more needed to steer it into place. Anyway, as you said, if they can land it, they can pick it up. It was definitely a lot of fun to watch!

If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost to rent the containers? Is the rental weekly, monthly? And do they charge by the mile for transporting from point A to point B? Do they have larger containers available to rent, too?

Yeah, I know, I could go the their website and look, too.

Back