Relocating my shop - advice wanted

• Also , my roll around tool boxs were left full of tools " in the real heavy drawers I removed things to lighten them up some, and packed that stuff separately " and the whole roll around was shrinkwraped twice, saved a lot of packing and unpacking.
  • Two foot shrinkwrap is your friend when moving, keeps things together, protects surfaces, everything got shrinkwraped, machines ,carts full of stuff, big metal desk full of stuff, drill presses , grinders, benches with things still on them ,welders , O/A tank cart, evan the boxs got it.
  • again everything got shrinkwraped that stuff works.
  • When I hired the movers I told them to bring lots of extra rolls of shrinkwrap, I still have 3extra rolls
  • The movers were three guys loading , a tweeker and two from south of border, no English , just two came to unload the next day at new place.
  • I told the driver to go slow around the on and off ramps , I think he did , as every thing made it ok. Sorry for the dots

Last time I moved my shop equipment, I had access to some nice shipping crates made of plywood with reinforced corners and edges. They were mounted on 4x4 runners so it made it nice for a fork truck to pickup. They had covers that were screwed in place with drywall screws. Size was roughly 4 foot square x about 30" deep. Loaded up four of them with tools and stuff. Your stuff was packed out of sight out of mind. Loaded up quickly on the trailer with forklift along with the machinery and other equipment. The few tool boxes I had I moved them myself.

I'll be doing this again later this year. Don't have access to the shipping crates used last time but to some that will do for the move. I'll probably make crates to put my tool boxes in for my upcoming move. Ken

Shrink wrap works good
Put some 2x4 /plywood in between stuff that matters and wrap it tight x2

Last edited:
I'm posting this as a follow up to my original question. I've completed the move I talked about (but still unpacking!), and I thought I would post a summary as to what worked and what didn't. Hopefully I will never have to move my shop again, but maybe this will help someone else. Since the whole thing is rather long (and because I want to be able to edit it later based on any additional suggestions), I have posted it to my website at the link below. I hope people will find this helpful both now and in the future, and I look forward to comments:

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/miscellaneous-projects/my-workshop-s

Many thanks to all of you! Before the end of the year, my wife and I will be buying a new house (with shop space) in the phoenix area, then consolidating two households (including two machine shops), one of which is in Oregon. And as fate would have it, of course, by far the larger shop is in Oregon. Oh, joy!

I would start by bolting all the machines to suitable timber bearers, renting a shipping container and with a fork truck or pallet trolley, fit all the prepacked machines into the container, You can add extra timbers at this point to help stabilise the top heavy stuff.

Hire a trucking company, or if you can drive a suitable truck yourself rent the truck, then move all the machines in one go, you can then unpack with a degree of leisure and take the time to set up each machine as you move them into their new locations, during this time the unpacked machines are safe in the container.

Depending on the sizes and quantity of your machines and the size of your container you should consider working out a floor plan of how they will all fit in the container. Check with your local machinery dealer they may have some hints and contacts that will help If you have some space left in the container, you might consider filling it up with some domestic stuff like fridge, washing machine, freezer etc. Will save some money with the moving company.
I really like your ideas about the moving container .
They are dry and strong .
You can buy them cheap $3000.
And then if you have room on your property
You now have a good storage building .

Kevin. Thanks for doing the write up of your moving experience and sharing it with others. Very informative.
regards
peter

Kevin. Thanks for doing the write up of your moving experience and sharing it with others. Very informative.
regards
peter

Yes very useful information, I hope I never have to move my shop, but it will come in handy if the occasion ever arises.

Back