Reliable Tapping Wrench

I use a general T Handle. it has 2 jaws and locks on nice and tight.
I don't like the cheap 4 jaw units. The 2 jaws are the way to go. The general's are like the Starrett's but much less $$$.
I also like the little Starrett that Bob has shown. But I prefer a T handle most of the time.

BTW...

I plasti-dip tap handles ect . 2-5 dips depending on how thick I want. then dap on the last coat for a textured finish...I use an emptied liquid tape bottle for filling with plasti-dip for this..you can use acid brush too but this way it is reusable

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

I like that idea of using plastidip on the handles...didn't know it was still around!

This was my answer, very easy to make, doesn't need to have knurling....doesnt need rounded handles those are my additions for comfort and so it looks finished.
I have made many for friends out of simple square stock.
When in a hurry to make them I simply take 2 equal length square stock pieces clamp them together in vise at 45 degree angle with enough overlap for drilling and tapping for a single screw on each end and mill V groove to 90% of size of square end of tap wrench. Once clamped by screws even mild steel even holds up nicely....and you can shape and size as needed for any job.

20161209_163253.jpg

On that plastic dip.....has anyone tried that stuff advertised on TV, the liquid rubber liquid or spray? The guy dips a hammer handle in it on the ad. Just wondered. I like the idea, but wonder how it would hold up to oils, etc.

I didn't know the original dip was still around either. Figured it had died out.

Only one of these I bought new, the others just sort of happened. Some I inherited from my Dad, some from my Wife's Dad and a few from auctions an yard sale lots. I actually sold about 1/3 of what I had on EBay a few years ago.
IMG_0653.JPG

I use a tap handle similar to this,
t-handle-tap-wrenches-938.jpg
(stock photo, not actually mine)
There is a step in the fingers. On some taps the square drive is quite small and you can insert the tap deeper into the handle where the step down will grip the smaller square. But whenever possible I start my taps in the drill press by hand. Even larger sizes, it makes life so much easier, (and less stressful) I probably really should make a tapping guide.........

Cheers Phil

Back