Reliable Tapping Wrench

revwarguy

Active User
Registered
Forgive the newbie question, but I have had a problem for some time now in that I often have the need to tap small threaded holes, mostly 6-32, 3mm, 4-40, etc. The problem is I have a collection of hand wrenches to hold those taps, and practically none are reliable - they let the tap slip in it's grip, or the tap chews up the jaws of the wrench due to weak steel, or something else like that goes awry.

We can argue about technique (I use cutting lube appropriate to the material, I try my best to keep the taps sharp and clean, I am careful to use the recommended drill sizes for cutting taps, I back it off often to keep cuttings clear, I use the best method I can think of to keep the tap straight under uniform pressure, etc, etc) but that's not my question as there are plenty of places online to get that kind of technique advice.

My question is where can I get a reliable wrench that has a good grip design for these sizes and uses quality tool steel. I have a small collection of them now (many of them came in tap and die sets, but some were single purchase) and none seem to hold up, and its getting frustrating!

Any recommendations?

I have four of these T handle tap wrenches, they all have four jaws and a internally tapered nut, All have flats on the inside of the jaws, most have two steps for holding the square end of the taps. Only one says anything at all, that one 0 - 1/4, USA. I use them primarily for No. 4 and No 5 taps. None of the jaws are damaged at all.
One thing I do that I don't see that you mentioned. I start all taps with the same chuck that held the drill, in the same position. Even If I have to turn the chuck by hand, then release it from the chuck. I learned long ago that my eye isn't good enough to start a tap straight.

I start all taps with the same chuck that held the drill, in the same position. Even If I have to turn the chuck by hand, then release it from the chuck. I learned long ago that my eye isn't good enough to start a tap straight.
I do the same as Tom, and then for small taps I use one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-T-handle-tap-holder-wrench-The-West-New-Haven-Ct-/172273848342
I have nothing to do with the advert it was just an easy way of showing the style.

I got a set of Starrett handles (T type) for Christmas last year. They are great. I won't use anything else.
Robert

For small taps, where there is room to swing it, I nearly always reach for my Starrett 91A. I have LOTS of tap wrenches, and this is the best for small taps, stays tight and does not wear out. It feels good in my hands.
th?&id=OIP.Me37ef61d83117a138987e715fb174e02o0&w=249&h=186&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

Mine is older, and I think classier, than the one in the picture...

th?&id=OIP.Me37ef61d83117a138987e715fb174e02o0&w=249&h=186&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

May be a silly question, but you aren't inserting the taps too far in on the tee handle style are you? The jaws should bear only on the square at the top of the tap. Not saying you are, but I have seen people push the tap in far enough that it just grabs the round part of the tap shank.

For most of the smaller taps I use, I prefer this style:
IRW21201.jpg

It is a ratcheting, reversible style. Starrett makes one with a slightly different ratchet mechanism, and is very good quality. General Tool offers one, Irwin Tool I believe, and Blue Point (SnapOn's brother-in-law version) market one as well. I have tapped thousands of holes with mine with no complaint. The jaws are vee section so there are only 2 of them instead of 4. This may contribute to the longevity of the tool. These come in two basic sizes: 0-1/4" and 1/4-1/2". Also offered are long versions to help work things like pulleys and flywheels.

IRW21201.jpg

IRW21201.jpg

IRW21201.jpg

IRW21201.jpg

IRW21201.jpg

I had similar problems with small taps, part of the problem is the jaw mechanism, and had a SnapOn set. The better T handle tap wrenches have jaws that work like a drill chuck and hold the tap much better. I ended buying the small T handle Starrett 93A and worlds better, it also has a sliding T handle which is very handy for tight places. The older General tap is also decent. but does not have a sliding T handle and work as smoothly as the 93A.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-S-STARRETT-CO-No-93A-T-Handle-Tap-Wrench-USA-328-/322341059503
http://www.ebay.com/itm/General-163...eamer-Extractor-0-8-High-Quality/222224216723

Besides all the other good advice, two more suggestions for small taps:
1. Buy a 16 oz bottle of the Castrol Moly-D tapping fluid. Absolutely smoother and easier tapping in all types of material.
2. Use the bigger size tap drills. Why fight trying to tap a material to get 75% thread engagement when a lower number will do?

Revwarguy that’s not a newbie question. I have been at it for many decades and have not found a tap handle for small taps that I can feel good about. A small tap can break with the slightest upset. A handle that is too big, heavy, not balanced, awkward or etc. can lead to breaking the tap. You need to feel the tap cutting. You need to feel the tap when it hits bottom, if there is a bottom. You need to feel chip load. You need to feel all these things via the handle so you do not break the tap. That tap handle with ratcheting mechanism would be my least favorite for said reasons above. The small Starrett T handle is OK but does not hold the tap centered in the middle of the handle. At least mine do not. So I’m also still looking…Dave.
taphandles.JPG

Last edited:
Back