Reinventing Myself

I got laid off from a plumbing company almost 25 years ago, quite unexpectedly I might add. I had side work lined up for that weekend and decided to push it until Monday. Seemed like the perfect time to try it on my own so i did. Now up to 12 employees, service vans, equipment, $500k shop, etc I am rolling along well. Best decision I ever made.

Nice setup. With your computer skills and a 3d printer or a small mill, you could make any missing blanks to make emergency keys.

You are going to bring some education and smarts to an occupation that needs it!

Good luck. I interesting side effect of going "On-site" to customer locations is that you can get direct observation of other issues they may have from minor handyman type things to major needed repairs. You might be able to find a way to capitalize on some of these. Regardless, Good luck on your new years adventure

One more thought.... since you have computer skills.....

If you could also do the electronic/transponder bits of automobile ignition keys you could possibly make a pile of money.

With my last few used vehicles the dealers wanted $500 or more per key!
I went to a local locksmith that charged about half that, but couldn't (yet) do the "lock remote in the key" part.

1608738745228.png

So I settled for two dongles at a more reasonable price:
ScreenShot148.jpg

Of course there would be equipment start-up costs, but by having the business at least it would open some doors (sorry!) with the vendors.

-brino

Too bad it wears a Bowtie.........
I bleed Blue.........
Good luck !
Hope you are successful.

Well, yeah, I'm pretty much 'brand agnostic' on vehicles nowadays.

I have had Fords of one shape or another for many years. 1969 Ford F350 dually ladder truck, 74 Mercury Capri, '66 Mercury Cougar (loved that car!) and 1980 F250 pickup. I still have the 1980 Ford pickup (photo shows 2 GMC's and red Ford pickup currently in the stable).

The only one of the 'Big 3' I had a problem with was Chrysler products (Dodge Coronet Super Bee) and so I now steer clear of them if possible and have stayed with Ford and GMC products.
BlondieOnBendpak_1.jpg

Thanks for the comment!

Stu

If you could also do the electronic/transponder bits of automobile ignition keys you could possibly make a pile of money.

Yeah, I'll see how it goes before plunking down serious cash for all the 'stuff' automotive work requires. A preliminary look-see tells me that every manufacturer has different hardware and firmware and required programming equipment. Just thinking of the dollar signs gives me a headache. I can always farm out automotive until then.

I really don't want too much business- after all, I'm retired and looking for side income, not a full-time gig.

Thanks!

Stu

I wish you all the luck. My stepbrother was a lobbyist in California and then bought a sort of defunct lock shop from a guy that was retiring. He said that the shop turned out to be more of a store room and all his business was on the road. He got contracts with many of the property management companies. High rises were a big business where offices are rented out to individual companies. Every time someone moved out the locks had to be changed.
Did very well. ended up with half dozen or so guys on the road and spent most of his time getting new contracts. Ended up with a contract with the city too. The contract work was his meat and potatoes as it was steady work. Individuals amounted to a very small portion of his business.
He retired and sold the business a couple of years ago. Did very well for himself.
I hope you have the same outcome.
Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year.

Good luck on your new adventure! Sounds like you're ready and willing!
I moved on from a job I had for 39 years to become self employed. That was 7 years ago, and I couldn't be happier.

Back