Rehab/restore Of Logan 821 1947 Vintage (serial 50337)

Rich,

I suspected that would be the case, thanks for the confirmation.

James,
I started to remove the key before snapping the picture, I had already displaced it and cocked it up on the outboard side. Good eye though.

Monty

Well an update what was a great find on a lathe is still in the great area but not as good as first thought. The outboard bearing in the spindle is making noise, with the recent bearing discussion I am thinking I will shop around for the replacement. By any chance does anyone have the SK number for the outboard spindle bearing?

I also discovered the banjo has issues, I found one on ebay and it is on it way. Hopefully that will be the last issue I found.

I disassembled the lathe and began paint, using baby seal black with the way my luck goes I picked up two courts and even had them load a rattle can for me.

All I got to say for now.

I have the boxes down in the garage and will post what I have later...

The smaller rear bearing is not that big of a deal, nothing particularly special about it as the original design, as far as I can tell, had all the preload in the front bearing...so the rear just spins and goes along for the ride. by the way my personal email is JDD@8bells.com if you want to contact me directly.

James

Indeed;

My understanding is that the drive side bearing is generic, so no worries there. In most cases, if these lathes are still in good shape, then the bearings are too. It takes a ton of miles to wear these things out, and in most cases the lathe will show it clearly. Most bearings are simply dried up a lot of the time. If you clean them out and re-grease them, they are often as good as new. You may not think that much of a rattle will clean, but you may be surprised. Lots of info on the web about cleaning and packing double sealed bearings, by the way, if you decide to try it.

I had not even considered cleaning and greasing a sealed bearing, I will give it a try this evening. After all it will only cost me a little time. If I fail I am no worse off.

Hey;

I've read that some folks have had good luck with Pine Sol for breaking down the old hardened grease. Soak, rinse, soak rinse, soak... etc. Then, using a pressure pot of some sort to force grease back in. Works like a charm. Mine were quite rough, but are now smooth as silk, albeit now without the inside metal shield. I wish I'd known all the tricks when I did them.

Got to looking at the bearing this evening and did want to destroy the shield in order to lube the bearing, this is a shielded bearing not a sealed bearing. Was getting ready to do the youtube search but saw Redlineman's post which changed how I did my youtube search and found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS3lOPVzAUg.
Which got me to think I have a vacuum pump, use it every once in a while to pump down the A/C on the occasional vehicle. Which is where things stopped for the evening, I was rudely interrupted by other responsibilities. I will try to get back to it tomorrow and post the results. Do your self a favor and take a look at the youtube video, watch the whole thing if you don't have a vacuum pump there is a solution to that problem and you already own what you need to lube the bearing.

Cool;

Oil is not very useful for loaded bearings, but it is a neat trick. I'd like to see if it would move grease in. Most guys have used a plastic bag loaded with grease and the bearing, and a paint pressure pot. Pretty easy to make a pressure pot.

Now that is the kind of help I need, someone to though out direction. I am not much on welding pressure vessels, pin holes you know, so I will stop at Lowes/Home Depot and see what I can do to pick up some steal pipe large enough diameter to put the bearing in and build me a pressure vessel out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back