Red Threadlocker

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I forgot... How long does it take for Permatex red threadlocker to set/cure? Thanks.

Activator? Oops. Nothing like that in the package. Guess I'll leave it overnight. :)

DEPENDS HOW BIG OF A GAP..COULD TAKE A MONTH

Right...I assumed it was being used in a normal threaded application. If used in a larger gap, cure time is extended very much.

Threaded .685" diameter. 40 tpi. Very little gap. Sorry for not being more thorough in my description/question. Thanks guys.

i could swear that the older stuff used to cure faster :headache:.. the last two bottles i bought seem slower.

Toolmaster, I agree about the older stuff being faster. Not sure why the formula was changed.
No worries, Bill, as long as you got the information needed... it's all good! :D

Not an answer to your question, but I have found that the Red thread seal does not age well in the container. I try to use it up within a couple years, after that it seems to take forever to set if at all. I clean parts with acetone and let dry before application. The old stuff worked much better IMO.

Loctite is anaerobic, it cures in the lack of oxygen. Drying time depends on how much oxygen is, or isn't present. The less gap the better.

Back